Introduction to dietetics
Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The subject gives an introduction to clinical nutrition with focus on treatment of overweight and diabetes in both children and adults, in addition to malnutrition.
In addition, the students will work in a health institution, sickness ward, health station, project or another place that is doing preventing or curative health work. They will observe hos the work is done, and how the goals are achieved. Nutrition should be particularly in focus. The placement period will elaborate the material that has been acquired theoretically.
After finishing the subject, the student should be able to:
- ability to develop nutritional measures for treating obesity and diabetes
- ability to diagnose malnutrition and develop nutritional treatment of this condition
- describe how a health institution works and hos nutritional work and preventing health work is done in real life
- make a diet plan for treating overweight, diabetes and malnutrition
- formulate one¿s observations and reflections in a written note
- cooperate in team work with other students
- consider the importance of nutrition in an overall and interdisciplinary health work
Access to the Course
Admission to the bachelor¿s programme in human nutrition
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Lectures, group work and placement
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
MCQ-test at Mitt UiB after the placement
Forms of Assessment
Oral exam with a patient
The Department strives at continually improving their study programmes and welcome the feedback of students in the form of organized student evaluations. The evaluation results will be used to revise the study programmes, curriculum and teaching methods.
(+47) 55 58 54 44 / (+47) 55 58 25 35