At the end of the course, the students are expected to have:
- Capable of explaining the research approaches in human nutrition
- capable of describing and evaluating the most important methods for assessment of dietary intake
- capable of describing and evaluating the most important methods for assessment of nutritional status, including dietary surveys
- capable of giving an overview of experimental and clinical research methods in the field of nutrition, as well as of the most important epidemological research methods
- capable of explaining nutritional problems and the importance of nutrition throughout the life cycle, from conception to old age, with the focus on nutrition during critical life phases
- capable of describing the role of nutrition in the development of overweight and obesity and diabetes, and coronary heart disease
- capable of conducting elementary statistical analyses of dietary intake data, nutritional and health status
- capable of measuring nutritional status using anthropometry
- the ability to write a scientific report
- the ability to read and evaluate scientific literature independently
- ability to participate in team work with other sudents, and to prepare and present team work
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Master in human nutrition
Forms of Assessment
Participation in all course activities: Reading, lectures, tutorials.
The reading will be tested by class entrance tests in the beginning of each lecture (multiple choise format) (minimum pass: 80%)
Written assignment on a topic provided by the course responsible
There are reading lists with pensum articles / text books to each topic. It is expected that the students have read the reading lists prior to the lecture. The individual topics will be covered by lectures, followed by tutorials /assignments. The lectures will provide and overview on the respective topic, while in the tutorials the students will work more independently on small research questions. It it required that the reading material is read beforehand, otherwise it will not be possible to follow the lecture and to do the assignment.
During the entire course, the student has to write one more in depth assignment related to one of the tutorials (free choise by the student).
There is a written evaluation at the end of the course.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline