Oral and maxillofacial radiology
Level of Study
Spring, 4th semester
Objectives and Content
In Oral and maxillofacial radiology the students will learn how X-rays are generated, their effects and how X-rays are used for imaging teeth and supportive tissues, jaws and other facial structures, and learn how to interpret the radiographic images.
The student shall be able to explain
- The origin and properties of x-rays and how x-rays are used to image teeth, the supporting tissues of the teeth and the surrounding jaws and facial structures.
- The biological effects of x-rays and radiobiological protection in clinical dental practice, i.e justification assessment and approach to optimization of intraoral and extraoral images.
- The theoretical and practical approach to projection technique in intraoral image examination.
- Normal anatomical structures in intraoral radiographs.
The students shall be able to
- In practice conduct intraoral image acquisition.
- Examine, interpret and name normal anatomical structures on intraoral radiographs.
The student should develop clinical understanding for the importance of good working routines and create a basis for the ability to communicate with patients and colleagues.
Required Previous Knowledge
Passed third semester, Master of Dentistry
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlapwww.uib.no/emne/OD2R&Atilde;N
OD2RØN 2 ECTS
Access to the Course
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures (digital and/or conventional) held in parallel with clinical seminars, clinical-practical training with acquisition of intraoral radiographs, and group assignments.
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The course begins with a series of lectures in parallel with clinical seminars.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Clinical seminars and the radiology skills course is mandatory. In the 4th semester, the students must successfully complete a radiological anatomy test to proceed to OD3RØNT.
Forms of Assessment
Practical skills are assessed continuously throughout the course. Before the student can take the course test (30 minute written test), a clinical teacher must approve that the student is capable of acquiring all the radiographs of a full-mouth series. The final test in radiological anatomy is assessed by an internal examiner.
Examination Support Material
Spring, 4th semester
The reading list will be available before December 1st for the spring semester.
Evaluation in accordance to the quality assurance system at the UiB.
Programme committee of dental study programmes
Professor Malin V. Jonsson
Department of Clinical Dentistry
Department of clinical dentistry