Clinical Skills Course, Endodontics
- ECTS credits4
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeOD3ENDO
- Number of semesters1
4 ECTS credits
Level of Study
Objectives and Content
Endodontology deals with etiology, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases and injuries involving the dental pulp and sequelae of these.
The course objective is to prepare the student for patient treatment in the discipline of endodontology.
- is able to explain the etiology and pathology of endodontic diseases.
- knows the different diagnosis and differences in treatment plan between vital and non-vital teeth.
- knows the principles of cavity preparation based on knowledge of tooth anatomy.
- has the necessary skills to choose the appropriate rotary instrument during cavum preparation
- knows the principles of radiographic documentation during endodontic treatment and the protocol for radiographs under endodontic treatment.
- has knowledge of different of root canal-instruments and their proper use.
- has knowledge of materials and medications used during endodontic treatment.
- is able to perform aseptic endodontic procedures.
- has the necessary skills to perform proper access preparation.
- takes necessary radiographs of adequate quality.
- uses both manual and rotary instruments during root canal treatment.
- handles different instrumentation techniques based on the anatomy of the tooth
- handles endodontic medicaments for disinfection, irrigation and temporary inlay during endodontic treatment.
- handles endodontic materials used during root canal obturation.
- performs, based on endodontic diagnoses, proper root canal treatments including pulpectomy, treatment of necrotic teeth and revision treatment.
Through skills training the student has a conscious attitude towards aseptics and technical quality.
Required Previous Knowledge
Completed the fifth semester of the Master's programme in Dentistry
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
OD3END-K3: 3 ECTS credits
Access to the Course
Master of Dentistry
Teaching and learning methods
Clinical teaching, seminars and lectures
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The course includes lectures, demonstrations, seminars, preclinical courses and clinical training. Clinical training (section specific) in endodontology starts after completion of the preclinical course (6th semester) and continues for a full year (7th and 8th semester). The teaching is to be continued as general comprehensive treatment (9th and 10th semester).
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Approved section specific clinical training is a prerequisite to take the theoretical and clinical test.
Forms of Assessment
- A 45 minutes theoretical test and 2,5 hour individual assignment
- Evaluation of completed work during the clinical training
Examination Support Material
The reading list will be available by 1st of December the year before the course commences.
Written evaluation every third year
The Board of Dental Study programs and subjects
Faculty of Medicine by Department of clinical dentistry
Department of clinical dentistry