4 ECTS credits
Level of Study
5th semester, autumn
Objectives and Content
In Oral and maxillofacial radiology, the students acquire skills to take intraoral and panoramic radiographs, and learn to interpret normal anatomy and pathological changes in teeth and supportive tissues, jaws and other facial structures from the radiographs. OD3RØNT is a clinical patient training course that builds on the skills course OD2RØNT. To be able to follow OD3RØNT the student must have completed OD2RØNT.
The student shall grasp:
- The principles of panoramic imaging and practical approaches regarding patient positioning and head alignment.
- Normal anatomical structures in panoramic images.
- Assessment of image quality and reflection of it's impact on diagnostics.
- Radiographic features of caries, marginal and periradicular changes in adults and children.
- Basic knowledge of CBCT technique and common indications for this technique in dentistry.
The students shall be able to
- Make an overall assessment of the patient's need for a justified X-ray examination of the teeth and jaws, based on the patient's oral and general state of health.
- Perform intraoral and panoramic imaging.
- Assess image quality and evaluate when retake is necessary.
- Review and interpret normal anatomical structures and pathological changes in teeth, jaws and surrounding tissues in intraoral and panoramic images and provide relevant diagnostic suggestions.
The student shall develop clinical understanding of the importance of good working routines, patient treatment and the ability to communicate with patients and colleagues, both orally and in writing.
Required Previous Knowledge
Completed fourth semester. Completed OD2RØNT (skills course).
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
OD2RØN 4 ECTS
Access to the Course
Master of Dentistry
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures (digital and/or conventional) in parallel with clinical seminars, clinical practice in capturing images and group assignments.
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The course begins with a series of lectures in parallel with clinical seminars.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Clinical seminars and clinical training with patients are mandatory. Before the student can be enrolled for the written exam, the clinical instructor evaluates the student's skills in capturing intraoral x-rays equal to a fullmouth status.
Forms of Assessment
3 hours written exam
Examination Support Material
The reading list will be available within the 1st of June.
The instruction will be evaluated in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB.
Programme committee of dental study programmes
Professor Malin V. Jonsson
Department of Clinical Dentistry
Department of clinical dentistry
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 13.12.2022, 15:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam