Oral Pathology in post graduate studies in odontology
4 ECTS credits
Level of Study
Post graduate studies in odontology/ PhD
Place of Instruction
Department of Pathology, Haukeland University Hospital
Objectives and Content
To give the students and understanding of diagnostics in oral pathology, indications for taking a biopsy and interpretation of the histopathological diagnosis given to a lesion.
The topic shall convey understanding of the importance of obtaining a histopathological diagnosis of a lesion in the oral cavity and jaws.
The course covers the most important topics in oral patohology and is based on knowledge from master of dentistry. The course focuses on diagnostics in histopathology and has as practical approach through microscopy of tissue sections from the most important lesions in the oral cavity and jaws. The cours covers special topics like odontogenic tumors and cysts in addition to lesions in the oral mucosa, jaws and salivary glands.
- knows the histological picture of the most important lesions in oral mucosa, salivary glands and jaws.
- is able to microscope tissue sections from oral mucosa, salivary glands and jaws.
- has knowledge of indications for taking a biopsy
- can interpret the histopathological description and diagnosis and know the implications for further follow-up of the patient.
Required Previous Knowledge
Master of dentistry or the equivalent of this
Access to the Course
Open to all students with master of dentistry or the equivalent of this
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Lectures and courses (practical microscopy of tissue sections)
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written exam with tissue sections from lesions in the oral mucosa, salivary glands and jaws. The sections will be studied through av microscope and will be given av histopathological description and diagnosis.
Examination Support Material
Passed/ Not passed
- Regezi, Squibba, Jordan: Oral pathology. Clinical Pathologic Correlations. Elsevier, 7th Edition
- E.W. Odell: Cawson's Essentials of Oral pathology and Oral medicine. Elsevier, 9th Edition
The program committee for Dentistry is responsible for the academic content and structure of the program and for the quality of the study program "Post graduate studies in odontology" and all the subjects within the program.
Prof. Anne Christine Johannessen
The Faculty of Medicine through The Department of Clinical Dentistry has the administrative responsibility for the subject and Post graduate studies in odontology.
Senior Executive Officer Christine Endal Kronenberger