Objectives and Content
The course is tailored to the needs of students in other fields of science than physics, mathematics or geophysics. The course gives an overview and understanding of basic physics, with moderate use of mathematical formalism.
The course gives a quick introduction to mechanics and thermodynamics: Motion, force, energy and power, rotation, temperature and heat, the laws of thermodynamics, oscillations, waves and sound.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student has gained knowledge about
- mechanics (kinematics and dynamics) and rotation linear/circular motion of simple objects and fluids
- thermodynamics and heat transport, work, change in temperature and internal energy
- harmonic motion, elasticity, waves, sound and interference
The student can solve problems using
- kinematic equations in two dimensions, Newton¿s laws, circular motion, work and energy considerations, impulse and momentum, rotation and simple fluid dynamics
- thermal expansion, heat conduction, Stefan-Boltzmann radiation law, the ideal gas law, kinetic gas theory, the laws of thermodynamics and Carnot¿s principle
- ideal springs, simple harmonic motion, sound speed in gasses/fluids/solids, the Doppler effect, interference and standing waves
The student has gained
- increased ability for reflection and insight in how physics connects cause and effect for simple processes in nature
- knowledge of value for other fields of the natural sciences
- training in systematic work and how to analyse complex problems
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Studierettleiar kan kontaktast her: email@example.com
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examiantion
- 22.02.2022, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam