Objectives and Content
To give the student a broad introduction to fundamental laws and relations in electricity, electromagnetism and electric circuits.
Content: PHYS112 gives an introduction in electromagnetism with emphasis on the following topics: Electric fields and currents, magnetic fields and induction, simple electrical circuits, Maxwell´s equations.
On completion of the course
the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student has gained knowledge about
- central topics within the theory of electromagnetism
- electric fields and currents, magnetic fields and induction, simple electrical circuits, Maxwell´s equations and electromagnetic waves
- electromagnetic phenomena and the coupling to light
The student is able to
- explain basic physical laws and concepts in electricity and electromagnetism
- use fundamental laws and relations to solve problems in electricity, electromagnetism
- draw sketches illustrating the physics in the problems solved
The student has gained
- basic knowledge of the theory of electromagnetism
- knowledge of value for other fields of the natural sciences in general and physics in particular
training in systematic work and how to analyze complex problems
Recommended Previous Knowledge
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 14.12.2020, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam