Spring. The course runs only if enough students enrol.
The course has a limited capacity. More information available at https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
Objectives and Content
The course aims to provide training in computer-based data acquisition, analysis and control using standard measurement instruments and process instrumentation.
The course covers topics such as PC-based communication with measurement instruments via standard communication protocols, as well as input and output of electrical voltage signals using standard multifunction data acquisition boards. In addition, the course covers topics as signal response of 1st and 2nd order systems, calibration of standard temperature measurement systems and control of dynamic systems. Furthermore, the course includes data acquisition and control of a two phase (air/water) flow rig.
On completion of the course
the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has advanced knowledge on use of measurement instruments and standard communication protocols between PCs and measurement instruments and between PCs and experiments.
- has a thorough knowledge on linearization of processes and decoupling coupled processes.
- has a thorough knowledge of the functionality of a two-phase flow rig.
- can manage experimental setups and use standard measurement instruments.
- can use PC-based data acquisition and presentation of measurement data.
- can determine the physical model of a multivariable control system, and control the system proprietary PID based control algorithms
- can apply his/her competence and skills related to PC-based data acquisition, analysis and control to manage advanced projects in measurement technology.
- can plan and implement experimental team based project work and write a laboratory report based on predefined guidelines.
Required Previous Knowledge
Basic knowledge of minimum 60 ECTS in physics
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline