Objectives and Content
The objective of the course is to give a general introduction to the fundamental principles of acoustics / ultrasound, with emphasis on physical mechanisms, laws, and relationships.The course shall convey an understanding of central basic methods and topics that are relevant in practical applications of acoustics and ultrasound.
The course gives an introduction to fundamental methods in acoustics, as a basis for basic research within acoustics and ultrasonics as well as for technological industrial applications. The course addresses vibrating bodies; standing waves in strings, membranes and bars; propagation of sound waves; sound sources and sound fields; transmission and reflection; sound absorption; acoustic resonators and waveguides; hearing; room acoustics; acoustic transducers; and underwater acoustics. The course gives a general introduction to acoustics / ultrasonics, with emphasis on physical principles. It forms basis for further studies in experimental and theoretical acoustics / ultrasonics, within a range of application areas (such as marine acoustics, medical ultrasound, petroleum acoustics, piezoelectric transducers, audio acoustics, etc.). The course can be of interest for students in related fields, such as optics and industrial instrumentation.
On completion of the course, the student should have the following learning outcomes, defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general expertise:
The student can explain
- central concepts, laws, and models in acoustics
- fundamental physical principles underlying the generation and propagation of sound waves in gas and liquid.
The student can
- use the fundamental laws and relationships to solve relatively simple problems in acoustics.
The student has
- insight in fundamental principles of acoustics / ultrasound, with emphasis on physical mechanisms, laws, and relationships
- understanding of basic methods and topics that are relevant in practical applications of acoustics and ultrasound.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Exam period
- 8 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Additional information
- Individuelt tidspunkt for eksamen oppgis av emneansvarlig noen uker i forkant