In the first semester, the students work with research design assignments in the course Research methods and ethics. This work provides a proper basis for developing relevant research questions and research designs for a master thesis, and provides experience in active use of knowledge in research methods and methodology.
For part time students, the project plan for the thesis is to be approved 15 April in the fourth semester. The thesis is completed in the fifth through eighth semester, and corresponds to 60 ECTS credits. Deadline is 15 May.
Objectives and Content
The aim of the master`s thesis is to promote the ability to maintain critical analytical thinking within the student`s own field of study, and the ability to produce knowledge. Through the work, the student will gain thorough experience in the use of scientific procedures when collecting and analyzing research materials, as well as use of relevant theory. The aim is also to promote the ability to maintain independent and critical thinking when interpreting results, and the ability to make choices that are well based in research ethics.
Through the master`s thesis, theory and empiricism are integrated, and problems related to practical and/or theoretical issues relevant to the student`s own field of study are to be studied in a scientific way.
Through the master`s thesis, the students will show scientific and methodical reasoning in studies relevant to their own field of study, actively use scientific based literature, and show a solid critical and analytical level of reflection.
Through their thesis, it is expected that the students
- show thorough knowledge about their chosen subject of study as well as scientific understanding
- show independence in the use of scientifically based literature, including the choice of relevant perspectives in theory and with satisfactory use of sources
- show a solid level of reflection regarding relevant methodological and theoretical issues
- show satisfactory use of scientific theories, methods and analysis methods
- show critical analytical thinking when interpreting the results/knowledge that the thesis produces
- show the ability to make written presentations, with the structure and logical composition required in academic theses
- show a substantial level of reflection regarding relevant research ethical issues and choices
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The thesis is to be written individually in the last two years of study (part time), and corresponds to 60 ECTS credits.
The student is entitled to in total 40 hours of supervision individually and in groups. Parts of this supervision may be ICT based. In addition, the student may attend courses in literature search, proper use of sources and source references, as well as research ethics related to use of sources etc.
Grading scale A-F, A being excellent and F being fail.
The thesis must be defended in an oral thesis examination. Internal and external examiner
Literature that found the basis of the students` learning activity, usable when working with the thesis, are suggested both in courses specific for the thesis subject and in the research methods course. The students also need to find literature relevant for the thesis, in consultation with supervisor.
The students respond to a written evaluation form, and describe their thesis work process, after the thesis is handed in, final exam is held and grade is set.
Type of assessment: Master's Thesis
- Withdrawal deadline
Exam part: Masteroppgave
- Submission deadline
- 15.11.2021, 23:59
Exam part: Adjusting oral examination