Varieties of Political Regimes: Latin America in Comparative Perspective
- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeSAMPOL204
- Number of semesters1
Spring - irregular
Objectives and Content
Objectives: The huge variety of regime types both past and present turns Latin America into a laboratory for the study of political regimes. The course aims to use fundamental theoretical and conceptual understandings of various democratic and non-democratic regime types to discuss and analyse the range of empirical variety in political regime development in Latin America.
Content: The course is divided into four sections. The first section provides theoretical and conceptual as well as analytical tools for the empirical study of different political regime types. The second section provides an overview of political regime development in 19th century Latin America. The third section is devoted to varieties of non-democratic regimes in Latin America, whereas the fourth section concerns varieties of democratic regimes in Latin America. The course emphasizes temporal variations as well as intraregional differences and similarities between countries.
Upon completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Describe the main temporal and intraregional variations in Latin American political regime development since independence
- Analyze empirical regime developments by using the theoretical conceptualizations of different political regime types
- Compare and discuss differences and similarities between empirical cases of the various Latin American regime types
- Critically relate concepts, models and theories to empirical examples and facts
Required Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
Full credit reduction with SAMPOL220
Access to the Course
Open for all students at the University of Bergen.
Teaching and learning methods
Number of weeks: 10
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
6 hour desk exam
Update 2021: As part of the measures to limit the risk of corona infection the form of assessment will be a 10 hour home exam instead of a 6 hour written exam.
Assessment in teaching semester. Only students who have a valid document of absence will be entitled to take a new exam the following semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Type of assessment: Take home exam (New exam)
- 10 hours
- Assignment handed out
- 21.09.2021, 09:00
- Submission deadline
- 21.09.2021, 19:00
- Withdrawal deadline
- Additional information
- NB! Du er meldt opp til eksamen siden du har gyldig fravær vår 2021. Du må trekke deg innen fristen dersom du ikke skal ta eksamen i emnet.
- Examination system
- Digital exam