Objectives and Content
To give an introduction to probability theory and statistical methods, with emphasis on the former
The main emphasis in this course is on probability models. Discrete and continuous distributions, among others the binomial, the hypergeometric, the exponential, the Poisson and the normal distributions are treated. Joint probability distributions and correlation are also covered. Examples are given from many areas. The last part of the course deals with principles for estimating unknown quantities using maximum likelihood, with confidence intervals, and with hypothesis testing.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Fundamental concepts in probability, such as expectation, variance and correlation.
- Discrete and continuously distributed random variables
- Law of large numbers and the central limit theorem
- Joint and conditional distributions
- Parameter estimation and confidence intervals
- Hypothesis tests and p-values
- Has a practical understanding of the probability concept as it used broadly in society
- Perform and interpret statistical analyses
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written examination, 5 hours.
Due to the measures taken to avoid the spread of SARS-CoV-2, UiB is closed for teaching and assessment. As a consequence, the following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2020:
- Written home examination instead of written examination
- Grading scale ¿Pass/Fail¿ instead of ¿A-F¿
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written exam
- 18.12.2020, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam