Objectives and Content
To give an introduction to statistical methods and suited to students of science. Together with STAT110 it is a natural unit in statistics.
Comparisons of two samples, analysis of variance and experimental design. Bivariate normal distribution, correlation and simple regression. An introduction to nonparametric methods and Bayesian statistics is also given. Examples are given from several areas of application. Some topics from probability theory are also covered, such as transformations of random variables, moment generating function and order statistics. Use of the statistical software package R.
- Can use basic statistical methods, and understand the mathematical foundation of these
- Understands the principles for data analysis
- Bivariate normal distribution and correlation
- Order statistics
- Confidence intervals and tests for variances
- Regression analysis
- Goodness of fit tests and contingency tables.
- Analysis of variance: one and two ways
- Nonparametric methods (Wilcoxon)
- Bayesian methods
- The statistical software package R
- Has a practical understanding of the probability concept as it used broadly in society
- Perform and interpret statistical analyses
- Can program in the software package R, and can interpret output from R
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written examination: 5 hours.
Examination support materials: Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
Due to the measures taken to avoid the spread of SARS-CoV-2, UiB is closed for teaching and assessment. As a consequence, the following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2020:
- Grading scale ¿Pass/Fail¿ instead of ¿A-F¿
- Written home examination instead of written examination
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
ECON240: 3 ECTS
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 25.09.2020, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.