Preventive Dental Care - Clinical Course
- ECTS credits0
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeTPBAFOR-K3
- Number of semesters2
Autumn and spring (2nd through 6th semester)
Objectives and Content
The course involves patient care (quantity) under supervision, clinical seminars (weekly in 2nd to 5th semesters), literature seminars (weekly in 2nd to 5th semesters) and case presentations (weekly in 6th semester).
After completing the course, the students should be able to:
- apply general odontological knowledge at a level that reflects information that has been taught in the spe-cialized disciplines of dentistry
- apply theories and knowledge of psychology and pedagogy that can be transferred to the individual pa-tient
- have an understanding of diseases (an understanding of health) in a social psychological and educa-tional context
- apply knowledge about how behavioral change is often necessary to achieve the patient's learning to take care of own oral health
- introduce pedagogical measures to increase interest in prevention in special populations (nurses, assis-tant nurses, preschool teachers, students, etc.)
- identify the patients¿ rights for reimbursement from Helfo
- identify diseases/conditions in the oral cavity, and bite functional abnormalities
- apply clinical skills in dental care
- conduct a professional discussion on "handing over" of a patient completed treatment
- initiate debate on current literature through digital presentation
- give a lecture for a larger group of people on preventive dentistry
- present a patient case for their fellow students
- recognize that an important goal in the field of preventive dental care is to enable people to maintain and improve their oral health by facilitating the possibilities to perform actions that promote and affect oral health
- communicate and perform individual-oriented prophylaxis measures, motivate and instruct people at dif-ferent age groups and development stages to prevent disease
- recognize that efforts for public health is a common area of interest for all actors in health services (dental hygienist will be able to inform and refer patients to appropriate health institutions when necessary)
- have a critical attitude towards literature and other sources
Access to the Course
Bachelor's Programme in Dental Hygiene
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Teaching includes individually supervised clinical service, seminars and outreach educational activities.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Clinical service is approved according to defined requirements for quantity, time used for patient treatment and qualitative patient relations.
Clinical service as a prerequisite for the student to sit the exam in General Dentistry (TPBAALM).
Week 37 (K3) and week 41 (K2) joint education (cross-professional learning) at the Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL)
Forms of Assessment
Tests will be held once per semester in 3rd, 4th and 5th semester.
The course is evaluated every three years
Gro Stenerud: https://www.uib.no/en/persons/Gro.Stenerud
Department of clinical dentistry
Tlf 55 58 60 00
Type of assessment: Godkjent klinikk
- Withdrawal deadline