Introductory clinical course
Autumn and spring
Objectives and Content
This introductory clinical course aims to qualify the student for basic patient treatment. Students learn the procedures with respect to patient treatment, with particular emphasis on: how to document clinical findings in the patient record including medical history, health forms, intraoral examinations, X-ray examination and diagnoses. The course also includes interdisciplinary theoretical approaches to professional ethics, the role of the patient, treatment requirements and regulations for patient records. An introduction to the OPUS-journal (electronic medical records program) is given as a separate course.
After completing the course, the student should be able to:
- explain what to document in a patient record
- describe the principles of patient communication
- recognize the most common oral diseases, their diagnosis and treatment
- know their own skills for clinical work and what should be referred to
- apply appropriate procedures for clinical dental hygienist practice (jf. ¿Prosedyreheftet¿)
- use the OPUS patient record system
- record general and specific anamnesis, information on dental behavior (diet / eating habits / oral hygiene / smoking, etc.)
- perform clinical and radiographic examination
- diagnose caries, changes in hard tissue and defects in dental restorations
- perform clinical tests such as saliva test and sensitivity test
- take clinical photos, take dental impressions and prepare study models
- communicate to the patient in a professional manner and provide information about oral diseases and individual activities to improve the patient's oral health
- understand that common oral diseases can often be prevented
- understand the importance of keeping an accurate patient record that is in line with the legislation
Access to the Course
Bachelor's Programme in Dental Hygiene
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Teaching takes place in the 1st and 2nd semester, in the form of seminars, laboratory exercises and clinical practice on fellow students, under the guidance of a dental hygienist instructor and a dentist instructor.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
23 hours lectures / seminars, 8 hours demonstration / student exercises
Both lectures, demonstrations and student exercises are mandatory.
Forms of Assessment
Two written tests must be passed in order to continue the program.
Autumn and spring
The course is evaluated every three years.
Gro Stenerud: https://www.uib.no/en/persons/Gro.Stenerud
Department of Clinical Dentistry
Department of clinical dentistry
Tel 55 58 60 00