Physiology and Nutrition
- ECTS credits5
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeTPBAFYS
- Number of semesters1
Objectives and Content
The teaching in physiology integrates learning outcomes from courses in anatomy, chemistry and biochemistry. Its aim is to increase the students¿ understanding of how organ systems collaborate to ensure optimal living conditions for all cells in the human body. The constant surveillance of the body¿s internal environment through neural and hormonal reflexes is in focus (homeostasis), as well as why this surveillance is necessary for the body¿s normal functions.
The learning outcomes in physiology form the foundation for later teachings in nutrition, which will give further insight into the interplay between nutrition and health. The aim is to promote consciousness towards how nutritional advice regarding oral health also affects general health and well-being.
After completion of the course, the student should:
- Know central physiological processes in the human body, such as nervous and hormonal control, respiration and gas transport, circulation and muscular contraction, and sexual physiology.
- Understand basic concepts in nutrition and be able to identify the most important nutrients, trace elements and other essential compounds within nutrition.
- Know how to gather information about the nutrition state of selected population segments, as well as professional advice commonly given to patients to promote healthy eating habits.
Skills and competences
- Be able to explain basic physiological and nutritional conditions which may affect a patient¿s health.
- Be able to participate in academic debate with co-students and teachers within the subjects of physiology and nutrition.
Access to the Course
Bachelor of Dental Hygiene
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Seminars (approx. 40 hours).
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
2 hour written exam.
Written evaluation using electronic/digital evaluation tool.
Department of Biomedicine
Arne Tjølsen, https://uib.no/persons/Arne.Tjølsen
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Skoleeksamen
- 16.06.2023, 09:00
- 2 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam