Level of Study
Spring and autumn
Objectives and Content
Pediatric dentistry targets oral health problems in children from 0 to 18 years of age. In the bachelor's program the main fields of interests are disease prevention, risk assessment, diagnostics, non-operative (non-invasive) treatment and treatment monitoring.
After completing the course the student is able to:
- Have insight in behavioural aspects in pediatric dentistry.
- Identify dental disturbances in tooth development and tooth eruption
- Clarify about the field of cariology and have knowledge about the field of endodontics con-serning children and adolescents
- Identify and explain how erosion and tooth wear appear in the group of children and adolescents
- Clarify about the preventive treatment principles for caries, erosion and tooth wear among chil-dren and adolescents
- Clarify about the gingivitis and periodontitis in the primary and in the permanent dentition among children and adolescents, and explain how to prevent development
- Have insight in the field of Traumatic Dental Injuries (TDI) in the primary- and the young per-manent dentition and clarify for TDI immediate care.
- Have insight in dental care for for children and adolescents with disabilities, diseases (chronic health conditions) and rare medical conditions.
- Know the principles of dental treatment under sedation and general anesthesia.
- Establish contact and communicate with children and their parents/guardians as well as show interest and willingness to manage different situations
- Perform adequate diagnosis of the most common oral diseases among children and adolescents, prepare, implement and evaluate an individually adjusted treatment plan within the dental hy-gienists¿ field of competence.
- Detect deviation from the normal condition and know when there is need to refer to dentist or other authority/agency (also show alertness concerning child neglect / child abuse).
- Perform oral health promotion work and be updated in the field of fluoride.
- Handle various fear/anxiety types of dental treatment and perform systematic habituation treat-ment.
- Record a correct journal.
- Exhibit good working hygiene according to the current hygiene regulations.
- Be aware one¿s own attitudes in respect to exercing the dental hygienist discipline among children and adolescents.
- Show respect for the patient as an individual under growth and development and recognize that patients have different needs and abilities.
- Open and good dialog with patient and parents/ guarians.
- Recognise own¿s need for consecutively update of knowledge and skills.
- Show understanding for society aspects in child dental care (ie: the multicultural society)
- Interdisciplinary cooperation with other health staff, working with children and adolescents.
Access to the Course
Bachelor's Programme in Dental Hygiene
Teaching and learning methods
Introduction, clinical teaching, lectures, propaedeutic course, cooperation with dental students.
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Introduction, clinical teaching, lectures, propaedeutic course, cooperation with the dental students.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Introductory seminar 4 hours + clinical service 3 hours per week in the 3rd and 4th semester and 6 hours per wek in the 5th semester is compulsory.
The student must have passed clinical service to sit the exam of the course.
Forms of Assessment
4 hour written exam
Pass/Fail in the clinic/ECTS-scale in written exam
Autumn and spring
The course is evaluated every three years
Marit Slåttelid Skeie: https://www.uib.no/en/persons/Marit.Sl%C3%A5ttelid.Skeie
Department of clinical dentistry
Studierettleiar kan kontaktast her:
Tlf 55 58 60 00
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam. Candidates must check their room allocation on Studentweb 3 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 11.12.2019, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam