Health insurance for international students

All international students must have valid health insurance while in Norway. The University of Bergen does not provide liability insurance for students.

Main content

Health Insurance

Students travelling to Norway are required to have a valid health insurance for the entire duration of their stay in Norway. In addition we recommend all students to have a travel insurance.

International students do not become members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme automatically.

To find out if you are entitled to a membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme please visit their website "Foreign students in Norway".

Students from outside EU/EEA/EFTA

Stay between 3-12 months

International students staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months, may be entitled to a voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme.

  • The voluntary membership must be applied for after obtaining the residence permit and Norwegian ID number.
  • Students  must have a valid health insurance from their home country while waiting for a membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.

Please note that if you are not entitled to apply for a voluntary membership, you should have private or public health insurance to cover your stay in Norway.

Stay for more than 12 months

  • International students with a valid residence permit, that are admitted to UIB for more than 12 months will become members of the Norwegian National insurance Scheme automatically. 
  • The membership entitles you to health services in Norway on an equal basis with Norwegian residents.
  • The Norwegian National Insurance Scheme covers the cost of regular medical consultations, with the exception of a nominal fee which must be paid by the patient. The scheme also covers hospitalization in Norway. 

Students from EU/EEA/EFTA countries

Students from an EU/EEA/EFTA country, must bring valid documentation of health insurance in order to prove their right to residency in Norway.

Citizens of  EU/EEA/EFTA do not become members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. 

Health insurance can be documented: 

  • European Health Insurance Card: This card is not a travel insurance card and will only cover necessary medical care.*      
  • Private health insurance to cover any medical expenses you might incur during your stay in Norway. Students are adviced to check with the issuing authorities the extend of the card coverage while in Norway.

*Please be aware that the European Health Insurance Card  applies only  to citizens of the countries within the EU/ EEA and Switzerland, and not citizens from other European countries living within this area. 

The health care entitlements under the EEA agreement are limited. It is therefore important to hold private travel insurance in addition to the European Health Insurance Card.

Students from Nordic countries

Students from other nordic countries are covered by the Nordic agreement on registration between Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. It is not necessary to report move to Norway for a stay of less than 6 months.

You will find detailed information about the rights and beneficts for Nordic citizens in the following web-page.