Insurance and Health Information for International Students

Information about insurance requirements and health services in Norway.

Main content


Students travelling to Norway are required to have a valid health insurance for the entire duration of their stay in Norway. International students do not become members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme automatically.

 The University of Bergen does not provide liability insurance for students.

We recommend all international students, regardless of the lenght of their stay to have a valid travel insurace in addition to their health insurance.

Students from Nordic countries

Students from the Nordic countries are covered by the Nordic agreement on registration between Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. It is not necessary to report move to Norway for a stay of less than 6 months.

You will find detailed information about the rights and beneficts for Nordic citizens in the following web-page.

Students from EU/EEA countries

Students from an EU/EEA country, must bring their valid European Health Insurance Card or documentation of private insurance in order to prove their right to residency in Norway.

  • European Health Insurance Card is not a travel insurance card and will only cover necessary medical care.*      
  • Students with a private health insurance are adviced to check with the issuing authorities the extend of the card coverage while in Norway.

*Please be aware that the European Health Insurance Card is valid only for citizens of countries within the EU/EEA and not citizens from other countries residing in this area. 

The health care entitlements under the EEA agreement are limited. It is therefore important to hold private travel insurance in addition to the European Health Insurance Card.

Students from outside EU/EEA countries

    International students staying in Norway between 6 and 12 months: 

    International students staying in Noway between 3 -12 months may be entitled to a voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme. Students can apply for voluntary membership after obtaining residence permit and Norwegian ID number.

    Please note that it might take several months before the application is approved. Students must have a valid health insurance from their home country while waiting for a membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. 

    International students staying in Norway for more than 12 months:

    International students with a valid residence permit, that are admitted to UIB for more than 12 months will become members of the Norwegian National insurance Scheme automatically. 

    • The membership entitles you to health services in Norway on an equal basis with Norwegian residents.
    • The Norwegian National Insurance Scheme covers the cost of regular medical consultations, with the exception of a nominal fee which must be paid by the patient. The scheme also covers hospitalization in Norway. 

    Please note that dental treatment is not included in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. However, students can get affordable dental treatment through SAMMEN.

    Information for UK nationals is available here.

    NON EU/EEA students residing in a Schengen country

    The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can only be used in Norway by EU/EEA citizens.

    Nationals  from Non EU/EEA countries residing in a Schengen country are not covered by  European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) This means that you cannot use the EHICs during your stay in Norway unless your are stateless, refugees or family members of an EU national.

    Restrictions on the use of your European Health Insurance Card

    Medical care for international students

    International students with a residence permit of minimum 12 months will be a assigned a general practicioner (GP) after obtaing their Norwegian ID-number. Persons with a D-number will not be assigned a GP, but are entitled to necessary medical treatment.

    You will find detailed information in the Norwegian health authorities official website.

    Short term students without a Norwegian ID-number can book an appointment at one of the medical centres cooperating with the Student Welfare Organization SAMMEN.

    Students with specific health issues are advised to bring information about their condition in case theyr need medical attention during their stay in Norway.

    For emergency help, please contact:

    Bringing prescription medication into Norway

    You can bring your medication to Norway. However, it is important that you bring documentation that proves that the medication is for personal use. Furthermore, you must check if there are restrictions to the amount of medication you can bring into the country. Detailed information is available here.

    Please note that you cannot use a foreign prescriptions in Norway.

    Someone to talk to?

    A new culture can bring changes which might require making adjustments in many areas. Everyone experiences difficult times in life and sometimes it feels good to talk to someone about your experiences, questions or confusion in a non-judgmental and confidential environment.

    The Student Welfare Organization (SAMMEN) offers mental health services for all registered students at UIB.

    For emergency help, please contact:

    • Bergen Emergency Medical Clinic (Bergen Legevakt), telephone 116 117
    • Emergency Life Crisis Centre (Livskrisehjelpen), telephone 55 56 87 54
    • Mental Health 24-hour hotline, telephone 116 123