Study permit

Residence Permit for Studies

International students moving to Norway must apply for a residence permit for studies.

Main content

Residence permit and police registration

The procedures for student residence permit and police registration depends on your nationality:

EU/EFTA citizens must register with the Police if staying in Norway for more than 3 months.  
Application procedures for EU/EFTA citizens

Citizens from outside EU/EFTA must apply for a study permit  after receiving the Letter of Acceptance from the University of Bergen.
Application procedures for citizens from outside EU/EFTA


Nordic citizens do not need a study permit to study in Norway, but should register with the National Registry if living in Norway for more than 6 months.

Students staying in Norway for less than three months: You must check with the Norwegian authorithies, if you need to apply for a student permit. Vistors visas are only issued for up to 90 days and will not cover stays beyond this period.