All new international students admitted to the University of Bergen can apply for housing through the Student Welfare Organisation (Sammen).
Housing guarantee for UiB students
New international students on the following categories are guaranteed student housing, provided that the application is submitted within the deadline:
- Exchange students
- International master's degree students
- Students in other collaboration programs with a minimum stay of one semester
Students are only guaranteed housing once. It is not possible to terminate the contract and then have guaranteed housing again.
Conditions to be eligible for a housing guarantee:
- New student admitted for at least one semester
- Residing abroad at the time of the admission.
- Submit the application for student accomodation within the deadline
- Arriving at the beginning of the semester (rent must be paid from 1 August/1 January)
|Please note that family and couple apartments are not included in the housing guarantee.|
How to apply for accommodation with housing guarantee
All students who are entitled to housing guarantee will receive information about application procedure by email.
Autumn semester (start August): 1 April - 15 May
Spring semester (start January): 1 October - 1 November
The application must be registered at the Sammen application portal, following the instructions given by the University of Bergen. It is important that you register a valid mobile phone number (including country code), when applying for housing.
Housing guarantee ensures a space in a student hostel; however a specific room type is not guaranteed.
- You will receive an offer of housing shortly after 15 May/1 November.
- You must sign the tenancy agreement and pay the deposit within the deadline. This can be done by using the SMS code sent by Sammen.
- Exchange students MUST accept the housing offer, even if their admission at UiB is still under consideration.
The tenancy agreement can be accepted by using SMS code, electronic draw signature or bank ID (Norwegian).
Please note shared rooms in the autumn semester
Exchange students staying for the autumn semester will be offered shared rooms at Fantoft student hostel.
Autumn semester: 1 August - 31 December
Spring semester: 1 January - 31 July
Information about tenancy agreement, allocation rules and other important information is available at Sammen.
Only students who withdraw from their studies at UiB, may cancel their housing offer. Cancellation deadline for the spring semester is 27 November 2019. Notify Sammen by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students should not sign the tenancy agreement, if they are planning to find alternative/private accommodation in Bergen. If the agreement is signed, the student is liable for paying rent for the entire duration of the tenancy period/semester.
Students that terminate the tenancy agreement due to alternative accomodation, will not be given guaranteed housing again.
Missed the housing guarantee deadline?
Students that have missed the deadline, are not guaranteed housing. We still recommend that you apply for housing at Sammen as soon as possible. You will be allocated student housing depending on availability.
- Apply to Sammen without housing guarantee
Staying for less than one semester?
If you intend to find housing elsewhere, there are several websites that may be useful.