Tuition fees for international students

Students with citizenship from countries outside the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland, must pay tuition fees.

Main content

Starting the academic year 2023/24, the Norwegian government has decided to introduce tuition fees. Students who have already been admitted to study programmes at the university prior to this, or exchange students through partner universities, are not affected. 

How much are the tuition fees?

Can I apply for an exemption?

Some international applicants do not have to pay tuition fees and can apply for an exemption after admission.

How do I pay?

Admitted applicants will receive payment information. When we have received the payment, we will issue a statement you can use to apply for your study permit/student residence permit.

Documentation of funding for study permit

Applicants from countries utside the EU/EEA/EFTA must, in addition to paying tuition fees, document to have sufficient funding for living costs in Norway. This is required in your application for a study permit to the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration. Applicants to UiB are therefore required to document funding in their application for admission.

Most students will finance all or most of their living costs with a student loan from their home country, with savings, or with support from a sponsor or relatives.

Scholarships and cost of living

The University of Bergen does not offer any scholarships. The website Study in Norway presents an overview of scholarships and other types of funding for international students who would like to study in Norway.

Part-time job

Depending on your nationality, you will have different rules to consider if you plan to work part-time in Norway while studying:

  • Students from countries in the European Union or EEA/EFTA can work in Norway after officially registering your move to Norway, and there are no other limitations.
  • Students from countries outside the European Union or EEA/EFTA, can normally work part-time for up to 20 hours per week, during the first year of study. In the holidays, when you do not study, you can work full-time. When renewing the residence permit for the second/third year, the part-time work permit is not automatically renewed, and you must document satisfactory progress in your studies in order to continue to work part-time.

Finding a job can be challenging, but realistic expectations and understanding the local job market will increase your chances.