How to apply for exchange

Your step-by-step guide on how to apply for exchange to the University of Bergen (UiB).

Main content

Step 3: Upload documents & complete your application


Upload your documents

Required documentation must be uploaded as PDF or jpg files by 25 April:

1. Passport/National ID card (gender must be stated in the passport/ID card).

2. Official Transcript of Records (academic record with previous approved/passed courses taken at university level). A minimum of 60 ECTS must be documented.

  • The transcript must be in English or in a Scandinavian language.
  • Alternatively, you can upload your original transcript together with a self-made translation that is signed by your home university.  
  • Master and PhD students must submit transcript(s) listing courses completed at both bachelor and master level.

Check below if you need to upload any further documents. When all documents have been uploaded click Done to complete your application, or Save if you have made any changes. Changes to the application can be made at any time before the application deadline.

Erasmus+ students do not upload the Learning Agreement (LA). The LA for incoming exchange students must be completed after your courses have been approved and will be signed by the faculty.

Check the information below for specific documentation requirements:

Additional documentation for citizens from countries outside EU/EFTA

Financing: Citizens from countries outside EU/EFTA must upload proof of their financing as part of their application to UiB. This is a mandatory requirement and applies also for non-EU/EFTA citizens stuying in an EU/EFTA country.

Documentation of financing is required in connection with student visa application and MUST be uploaded to Søknadsweb within the application deadline. 

Proof of financing can be documented by uploading one of the following documents to Søknadsweb:

  • Official confirmation of funding issued by your home institution.
  • Bank statement in your name which shows sufficient funding (in a currency equivalent to the amount listed below).
  • Official signed letter/confirmation that you will receive a scholarship/ grant/ student loan for your studies abroad.
  • Letter from parents confirming relationship with the applicant stating if they will provide financial support for your exchange period in Norway. A bank statement in their name must also be attached.

The amount to be documented: 

  • Students staying for the autumn semester 2024 only: NOK 68.950
  • Students staying for two semesters (2024/2025) or longer: NOK 151.970
  • Students staying for the spring semester 2025 only: NOK 82.740

Applicants in the following categories are exempted from documenting sufficient funding:

Applicants to courses in English Language and Literature (ENG-courses) at the Department of Foreign Languages

Applicants to courses in English Language and Literature (ENG-courses) must document a minimum level of English proficiency equivalent to C1 (CEFR) by submitting one of the following tests:

  • Minimum 7
  • Internet-based test (iBT): 90 
  • Paper-based test (PBT): 560
University of Cambridge examinations:
  • First Certificate in English: Grade A
  • Certificate in Advanced English: Grade C
  • Certificate of Proficiency in English: Level C1
ETS - TOEIC Listening and Reading Test:
  • TOEIC Listening: 490
  • TOEIC Reading: 455
Online Language SupportOnline Language Support for Erasmus+ students

Inquiries regarding other valid English test must be addressed directly to the Department of Foreign Languages:studierettleiar@if.uib.no 

Native speakers of English are exempted from documenting their English language proficiency.

Applicants to courses at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences

The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences offers only restricted courses. To ensure that you get considered for admission to the courses that you are applying for, complete and upload the form with list of courses in progress, if these couses are not included in the uploaded transcript of records.

Please note that admission to restricted courses cannot be granted unless you have the previous knowledge and the required academic background. 

Applicants to the Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design

Applicants to Fine Art:

  1. Portfolio of work samples:
    • 6 – 10 works.
    • You are free to choose media and content.
  2. Letter of motivation:
    • Maximum 1 page.
    • Master level applicants must define his/her own independent artistic project in the motivation letter.
  3. Brief CV:
    • Maximum 1 page.

Applicants to Design:

  1. Portfolio of work samples:
    • 6 – 10 works.
    • You are free to choose media and content.
  2. Letter of motivation:
    • Maximum 1 page.
  3. Brief CV:
    • Maximum 1 page.
  4. Project description (Master level applicants only)
    • Maximum 2 pages.
    • Topic and area that the design project aims to explore.
    • Motivation for executing the project and societal relevance of the procject.
    • Objectives and main questions of the project.
    • How you intend to carry out and present the project.

Applicants to Music - performance/composition:

  • You must apply in the EASY Mobility Online by 1 March.
  • All the required documentation and audition material must be submitted throught EASY Mobility Online.
  • If you are offered admission, you will be added to UiB's application system in April/October (depending on when you will start your exchange).

Applicants to regular courses taught in Norwegian (NOT Norwegian language courses)

Students that are proficient in one of the Scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Swedish or Danish) can apply for courses taught in Norwegian

You must document your proficiency in a Scandinavian language by uploading one of the following documents:

  • Transcript of records (from high school or university level) which shows that you fulfill the language requirements.
  • Your passport (Norway, Sweden, Denmark).