Humanities: funding for basic research projects
The UiB’s Strategy for the Humanities sets forth the ambition to strengthen and internationalise humanities research at UiB. In 2019, UiB started planning a center for humanities research, where outstanding, curiosity-driven basic research and academic freedom shall be the keystones. Within this framework, funds are made available in 2021, upon application, for three basic research projects organized by employees in a permanent scientific position at UiB. Application deadline: March 20th 2021.
The UiB’s Strategy for the Humanities sets forth the ambition to strengthen and internationalise humanities research at UiB. In 2019, UiB started planning a center for humanities research, where outstanding, curiosity-driven basic research and academic freedom shall be the keystones.
Within this framework, funds are made available in 2021, upon application, for three basic research projects organized by employees in a permanent scientific position at UiB. The project period shall be six months.
Researchers at the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Arts, Music and Design and the University Museum are welcome to apply for these funds.
The projects that will be funded shall have a clear humanistic perspective. The Humanities Strategy at UiB outline the humanistic perspective as follows: “The humanities contribute to historical understanding and to underpin critical analysis, interpretation competence and linguistic awareness as tools and expressions. The humanities provide specific skills that are of great significance to public debate, but also have intrinsic value as experience and insight. The humanities entail reflections on the fundamental issues of existence, experience, meaning and values, and practices stewardship of historical memory and cultural awareness.”
Maximum three applications will be funded. The funds shall be used for teaching buyout for up to 4 months in the autumn semester. The funds are available until 31.12.2021. In addition, applicants can apply for research funds, limited to up to NOK 150,000.
The funded projects are expected to contribute to an event under the auspices of the Humanities strategy.
Applications will be judged and selected based on the following core criteria:
- The quality of the proposed research project
- Outstanding research by the applicant (shown by CV and publication list)
- Active international cooperation
- Plans for networking from which the academic environment will benefit
- Plan for how the project will lay the foundation for research beyond the grant period.
Applicants must enclose a project description of a maximum of 5 pages describing the project. The project description shall contain the following points:
- Project idea and state of the art
- Goals and milestones
- Problem and method
- Activities and implementation of the project
In addition, the application must enclose:
• the applicant’s CV and publication list
• the applicant’s research plan for 2021-2023
• Confirmation from the head of department that the teaching buyout can be organized (please use the form “autorisasjonserklæring”)
• List of collaboration partners
Please use e-phorte to submit the application (under 2019/2198)
• Applications are assessed by a program committee consisting of the vice deans for research at the faculties of humanities and law and the vice dean for education at the faculty of social sciences.
• A report describing the use of the funds is to be submitted at the Division of Research Administration by 10.01.2022.
Application deadline: March 20th 2021.