A good job market
The need for qualified meteorologists and oceanographers is great, and there are plenty of opportunities within a broad spectrum of private and governmental firms and institutions.
Even during their study time, many of our students have relevant part time jobs. As well as getting valuable work experience, they get to know possible future employers. Below you find a listing of potential employers that recruited past students.
- The universities - research and teaching (Bergen, Oslo, Tromsø, Svalbard, Trondheim)
- The Norwegian Meteorological Institute (Oslo, Bergen and Tromsø) - weather forecasting, research
- Storm Weather Center (Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger) - weather forecasting, research and development, sales and marketing
- The Norwegian Polar Institute - research
- Norwegian Institue for Air Research (Oslo) - research
- Norwegian Institute for Water Research (Bergen, Oslo) - research
- Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center (Bergen) - research
- Institute for Marine Research (Bergen) - research
- Oil companies (Hydro, Statoil, Shell etc.) - research and development
- Kartverket - mapping authority (Stavanger) - research
- Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate
- Power companies (BKK, Lyse, Agder Energi)
- Norges Geotekniske Institutt
- Consultancy companies (MIROS etc.)
- Educational system
International position advertisements
- Met-Jobs - The University of Reading, UK, lists job advertisements in meteorology throughout the world
- Earthworks-jobs - Job portal with positions in geophysics and related fields
- Climlist - A mail distribution list for climatologists and those working in closely-related fields.