The environmental management system is anchored in the Action Plan for the external environment and certified under the Eco-Lighthouse certification scheme.
UiB has embedded environmental work in its strategy, and such work is governed by the university's HSE Action Plan and Environmental Action Plan. The overarching environmental goals were adopted at the meeting of the University Board held on February 15, 2007 in connection with the implementation of environmental management.
Overarching objectives for work relating to the external environment:
The University of Bergen (UiB), as a leading knowledge institution, has a duty to take account of environmental considerations and social responsibility in all its activities.
The relevant units shall through research and teaching contribute to a comprehensive understanding of how to reconcile resource demands with resource management in the best interests of society, both today and for the future.
- Staff and students shall through good procedures, teamwork and and teaching develop awareness of their own environmental contribution.
- UiB shall document its environmental commitment by reducing the negative environmental impact of its own operations.
- UiB shall be perceived by users and society as a place of learning and research that is characterised by an active awareness of environmental issues.
- Departments and other units involved in environmental research shall have a special responsibility to disseminate relevant knowledge, both internally and to society at large.
- Staff and students shall participate actively, critically and informatively in debates concerning environmental and resource-related issues.
In addition, the Health, Safety and Environment Action Plan 2016-2018 establishes the following objectives for environmental work relating to the external environment in the period up to 2018:
- Information and training for employees and students to reduce the UiB’s greenhouse gas emissions and consumption of resources.
- Facilitate for employees and students to be able to easily make environmentally friendly choices.
- Clarify green environmental work as part of the system for HSE risk management.
The following governance document and measures also support this HSE goal: