MMS Workshop 2018
The third MMS community workshop will be held on June 11-14, 2018, in Bergen, Norway. This workshop is open to the broad scientific community with interest in magnetic reconnection and other, MMS-related, science topics. Breakout sessions will be held on June 11 at the University of Bergen, and the science workshop will be on June 12-14 at the Scandic Ørnen hotel in the center of town.
Beautiful Bergen, Norway, gateway to the fjords, is host to the 2018 MMS Workshop.
All interested members of the science community are welcome and encouraged to attend this meeting, which is hosted by the Birkeland Centre for Space Science (BCSS) at the University of Bergen.
Abstracts will be solicited on MMS observations and numerical simulations with an emphasis on MMS-related science topics such as the ones below:
- The kinetic physics of Magnetic Reconnection
- Magnetopause kinetic structure and dynamics
- Magnetotail kinetic structure and dynamics
- Shock Physics
- Plasma Turbulence
- Energetic Particle dynamics
- Michael Hesse, Professor, BCSS, University of Bergen, Norway
- Tai Phan, Space Science Laboratories, UC Berkeley, USA
Registration and Abstract Submission
Please use the following link to access the registration/ online payment form:
Extra Dinner tickets
Please click here for extra tickets to the Workshop dinner on June 13, 2018.
Travel & Meeting Venue
Flying to Bergen (BGO)
The distance between the Bergen airport Flesland and downtown Bergen is approximately 16 km.
The airport shuttle bus takes roughly 25 minutes to the main bus station, which is directly behind the meeting venue. A one-way ticket costs ca. 100 NOK.
Alternatively, the local light rail, Bybane, goes roughly every 5 to 10 minutes from the airport to the main bus station on weekdays and costs 37 NOK. The trip takes approximately 45 minutes. The schedule can be found here.
The Scandic Ørnen Hotel is within walking distance of the Institute of Physics and Technology at the University of Bergen.
A map of the location appears on the hotel's homepage:
Information regarding the breakout sessions on June 11, 2018 will be published later.
There are three possibilities for accommodation when you attend the conference:
1. Some hotels of the Scandic chain (Ørnen, Neptun and Byparken) – showing the code "PROMO10B" – will give a 10% discount plus flexibility to change or cancel reservation dates. Note that there are a limited number of rooms in this category.
2. Several other Scandic hotels do not give a rebate or flexibility but are priced lower to begin with. Both types of booking possibilities are found on this link.
PLEASE BOOK ASAP: June is high tourist season in Bergen. The sooner you book, the more likely that you will get a hotel room!
This website gives an overview of attractions/things to do around Bergen:
The Bergen Card gives a rebate on museum entry fees and allows you to travel for free on local public transportation:
Norway-in-a-nutshell arranges day-long tours through Vestlandet's magnificent fjord landscape:
Half-day cruises are also available from the Bergen harbor:
Rent a bike with your smart phone and tour the city (45 minutes/ NOK 29):
Downloadable map of Bergen:
The Institute of Physics and Technology is number 6 on the following map: