International Researchers at UiB

Immigration EU and EEA Nationals and Family

EU and EEA Nationals do not have to apply for residence permit, but have to register if they plan to stay here longer than three months.


EU and EEA Nationals and their Family Members

Persons with citizenship of an EU or EEA country can stay and work in Norway for up to three months without contacting the immigration authorities.

However we recommend that you start the immigration process as soon as possible. If you register with the tax authorities without documentation from the police, you may be issued a D number and not an ID number.

You may have to wait some time before you get an appointment for registration with the police at the SUA office, and this is another reason why we recommend starting this process early.

Family members need to be aware that if they register together (at the same time) as the researcher, the processing of their case will be quicker than if the register at a later time then the researcher.

How to register

Persons with citizenship of an EU or EEA country do not apply for resident permit, but simply register. Information from the immigration authorities:

You can fill in the registration form and make the reservation for appointment when you are still abroad - do not wait until you are actually here. In this way, you can try to get an appointment one of the first days after you arrived in Bergen.

One of the first questions you get in the application portal is "From where are you applying?" Even if you are somewhere else - your answer is Norway (not possible for EU and EEA citizens to choose something else). Next, you make the choice of police station or a SUA office - for Bergen this will be: Hordaland police district, Service centre for foreign workers in Bergen.

From the police you will receive a registration certificate. The registration certificate is valid indefinitely, but only as long as you fulfil the requirement of sufficient means of support, and are not staying outside Norway for longer than 6 months during the year.


As a researcher (or accompanying family of researcher), you should always use the SUA office when contacting police/immigration directly, not the Immigration Office in Nesttun.

Regarding the documents you need to hand in, please notice:
When you turn up to your appointment with the police, you hand in copies of the documents on this list, but you must also present the original documents. If any of your documents are in a different language than Norwegian or English, you must hand in a translation of the documents into Norwegian or English.

Documentation of work experience is not necessary if you have documentented that you have one or more university degree(s).

Family Members who are not EEA Citizens

Family members of EEA nationals, who are not EEA citizens themselves, may apply for a residence card. The application can be sent before or after arrival in Norway.
You apply for family immigration here: https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/family-immigration/

Permanent Residence

After five years of residency in Norway, it is possible for EEA nationals and their non-EEA national’s family to apply for permanent right of residence.