International Researchers at UiB

Practicalities at UiB

Some registration formalities need to be taken care of during the first days after your arrival at UoB.


Employee card

The employee card is also your access card to many of the buildings at UiB. It is also what you use as a library card at the university library.

You will need to contact the administration at your unit in order to get the correct registration form with the correct approval for your employee card. The administration will also direct you to the card center (at the Student centre) for photo. Bring along your ID documents. 

It is possible to get special card for visitors - talk to the administration at your unit.

More information:



HR-portal /PAGA-web

At the HR-portal you can find information registred on your name in the university files. Here is information about your employment, your salary slips, registration for vacation, registration for travelling cost and more.

You can also change some of the information here yourself - like address and next of kin.

If you are a new employee and don´t manage to log into the HR-portal, you should send information about this in the Issue tracker in order to get help. A common problem is that you registred for your it-account using just your birthdate and not the Norwegian Id-number. If this is the case, you won´t get access and need to registrer this as a problet at the Issue tracker. 

Issue Tracker

Is the electronic system for registration of a problem or an issue in order to get help: https://bs.uib.no/

Before it was used only for issues related to IT and phones, but now you also use it for HSE (Health Safety and Enviroment), HR issues, Web etc. 

Press "Open an issue" in order to register a new case. You have to chooce the recipian/or what field the issue belongs to first. 

IT account

New employees and guest researchers must fill in a web-based application form to apply for a user account in order to gain access to the University's IT resources. When applying, you need to do that on a computer on the University's network. You do this at SEBRA.

NB! Remember to save registration code and registration PIN. When the application is approved you will gain access to e-mail, the University network, the intranet and common areas on the net at your place of employment.

Information about UiB User account.

UiB is also in the eduroam network.

If you have any IT related problems or questions, take a look at the IT-help.

Keys to office

Each unit will have a member of staff who is responsible for issuing keys to new employees and guests if this is needed in addition to the access card. The administration at the department should help you if have problems with the key to your office.

Parking: bikes and cars

You access card at UiB also give you access to secure bike parking: http://www.uib.no/en/hms-portalen/76667/secure-bike-parking

Information about parking at the university (only in Norwegian): http://www.uib.no/en/node/17314


On arrival your employer should provide you with a workplace with a pc and access to a telephone. The telephone may be restricted to national calls or no mobile calls. The administration at your unit is in charge of these restrictions, so if you have problems calling someone, you should talk to the administration about the accessibility.