The Legal History of the Norwegian Police and Policing
The project The Legal History of the Norwegian Police and Policing runs from 2019 to 2023, and is finance by the Norwegian National Police Directorate and the University in Bergen.
The aim of the research project is to produce the legal history of the Norwegian police and policing from 1689 until 2019 in four parts, in two volumes. The project is headed by Professor Anne Lise Fimreite (UiB), Professor Gert Johan Kjelby (UiB), and Professor Jørn Øyrehagen Sunde (UiO).
The overall project is hence split in four subprojects with a researcher assigned to each of them:
• 1689-1894: Professor, legal history, Geir Heivoll
• 1894-1945: Professor, legal history, Geir Heivoll
• 1945-1994: PhD, legal sociology, Lisbeth Skyberg
• 1994-2019: PhD, administration and organization theory, Helge Renå
Each subproject will address the following themes, next to those that are specific to each time period:
• Government and policing.
• Organizational structures.
• Tasks and competences.
• Costs and financing.
• Personnel and education.
• Uniforms, equipment and technology.