Learn About Cancer Through Art
The project Learn About Cancer Through Art is a small scale project financed by the University of Bergen. The project aims at using art as a tool to disseminate knowledge about cancer biology. We collaborate with artists, involve them into active discussions about selected aspects of cancer biology, and challenge them to transform that into art.
The project manager is Tarig Osman at the Department of Clinical Medicine, UiB. Tarig has a background as a dental surgeon from the University of Khartoum, Sudan, and in 2014 completed his PhD focusing on cancer stem cell related markers in normal and neoplastic oral mucosa at UiB. He has also been a post-doc at the Center for Cancer Biomarkers (CCBIO) from 2014-2016, working on experimental studies of angiogenesis, tumor microenvironment and metastatic spread in breast cancer subtypes. He is currently employed by the Renal Research Group (50%) and the Tissue engineering group (50%) at UiB.
Henriette Christie Ertsås plays the part as the cancer cell, and is a guest researcher at the Department of Clinical Medicine. She is a molecular biologist, has a PhD from the Department of Biomedicine and CCBIO, and does research on age-dependent cancer at CCBIO. Having also studied acting she is well suited to tell the story of the wondrous biology of cells.
- Viewing of SHORTFILMS about the cancer cell – She is the world’s worst colleague. Employed in the corporal enterprise, where she takes gross advantage of her position.
- CHALLENGE COURSE: Through risk factors of cancer.
- THEATRE PERFORMANCE: “Stine Stem Cell Finds Herself» about identity and phenotypic plasticity.
- CANCER ON THE WALL: Paintings and photo
- AT THE DOCTOR’S: What is the crystal ball we need to predict the future of the patient?
Additional Program Release Party 25.10
- HIDDEN THEATRE: Samples from upcoming short films in the series
- PODCAST recording: Challenges linked to personalized cancer treatment of the future
- COURSE in CARCINOMA. The cancer cell shares strategies in management. Useful tips for aspiring entrepreneurs.
See this page for updates on the program, time and place: https://www.facebook.com/events/692624364540295/?active_tab=about