Grading system before 2003
UiB changed the grading system in 2003. Here is an overview of the earlier grading system.
Before 2003 the grading system was laid down in the regulations for each faculty.
Grading scale with number values
The grading scale with number values used numbers from 1.0 to 6.0 with steps of 0.1. 1.0 was the best grade and 4.0 was the worst pass grade. The value steps 4.1 - 6.0 were used as aids in the examination work and were not normally stated.
The grading scale with number values could be used without additional descriptions and with additional descriptions in Latin or English.
Additional descriptions in Latin:
- 1.0 - 1.5 Laudabilis prae ceteris
- 1.6 - 2.5 Laudabilis
- 2.6 - 3.2 Haud illaudabilis
- 3.3 - 4.0 Non contemnendus
- 4.1 - 6.0 Immaturus
Additional descriptions in English:
- 1.0 - 1.5 Excellent
- 1.6 - 2.5 Very Good
- 2.6 - 3.2 Good
- 3.3 - 4.0 Not recommendable but pass
- 4.1 - 6.0 Fail
Grading scale with letter values
The grading scale with letter values used A, B, C and D for pass grades and "Fail" for not passed. A was the best grade and D was the worst pass grade.
Grading scale without letter or number values
- Passed / Not passed
- Pass / Fail
- Approved / Not approved
- Passed with laud / Passed / Not passed
Grading scale used by the Faculty of Law
For examinations after the programme requirements of 1984, the following grading scale was used:
- 2.00 - 2.15 Laudabilis (prae ceteris) (Exceptional, rarely awarded)
- 2.16 - 2.35 Står til laudabilis (Outstanding)
- 2.36 - 2.55 Kan få laudabilis (Excellent)
- 2.56 - 2.75 Kan vel få laudabilis (Very good)
- 2.76 - 2.95 Haud illaudabilis (Fair)
- 2.96 - 3.15 Står til haud illaudabilis (Pass)
Students who received a poorer grade than står til haud illaudabilis (pass), had not passed, and no number values were awarded.
For examinations in professional studies, the following grading scale was used:
- Laudabilis - three different grades
- Haud illaudabilis - two different grades
- Not passed
Final grades were not awarded.
Grading scale used at the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry
Before the autumn 2003 the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry at UiB used the grading scale 6 - 12. Students who received a poorer grade than 6 had not passed, and no number values were awarded.
For preliminary and final grades, the following grading scale was used:
- 11.00 - 12.00 Laudabilis cum litteris commendatitiis
- 9.00 - 10.99 Laudabilis
- 7.00 - 8.99 Haud illaudabilis
- 6.00 - 6.99 Non contemnendus