Project coordinator for Arena for Research and Science Communication
- Exhibit curator
Curator for Worldview (2019) University Museum, Natural History
The Singing Bowl: Commodity, Artefact and Healing Instrument (PhD project)
Metal bowls produced in Nepal are used for healing and sound therapy worldwide. By following the singing bowl from production, through sellers and buyers and to therapy rooms in Nepal and Norway, this research project explores how an artefact is constructed in a globalized field of alternative medicine and religion.
Looking into the different stages in the life of the artefact, the project investigates how the singing bowl is becoming a ritual and healing object. The singing bowl is approached as commodity, tourist souvenir, ritual item, medical and musical instrument. Further, the project investigates the relation between human body, sound and artefact in the field of alternative medicine
Thorsen, Åshild Sunde Feyling. The Sound of a Bowl. Presentation of audiovisual research on sound healing. Sjón Anthropological Film Festival; Copenhagen, 2019-03-08 - 2019-03-10
Thorsen, Åshild Sunde Feyling. Visualizing sound healing: representing multisensorial experiences through filmmaking. Art, Materiality and Representation; RAI/BM/SOAS, London 2018-06-01 - 2018-06-03
Thorsen, Åshild Sunde Feyling. A sense of the healing sound. Workshop: Visual Anthropology, Ethnographic Film and Anthropological Knowledge; UiT 2017-05-31 - 2017-06-01
Thorsen, Åshild Sunde Feyling. Digital storytelling for teaching. Digital storytelling workshop; Fergus Falls, Minnesota. 2017-05-10
Thorsen, Åshild Sunde Feyling. En spesiell bolle: globale nyreligiøse gjenstander. Årskonferanse i Norsk antropologisk forening, Lillehammer; 2017-05-05 - 2017-05-07
Thorsen, Åshild Sunde Feyling. Negotiating identity and artefacts in Kathmandu. Himalayan Studies Conference V, The Association for Nepal and Himalayan Studies, Boulder, CO; 2017-09-01 - 2017-09-04
- 2018. To hear healing sounds: Skilled listening amongst sound healers and filmmaking anthropologists. Norsk Antropologisk Tidsskrift. 165-178.
- 2019. The Sound of a Bowl. Presentation of audiovisual research on sound healing.
- 2017. Digital storytelling for teaching.
- 2018. Visualizing sound healing: representing multisensorial experiences through filmmaking.
- 2017. Negotiating identity and artefacts in Kathmandu.
- 2017. En spesiell bolle: globale nyreligiøse gjenstander.
- 2017. A sense of the healing sound.
- 2019. News from JAF. NAFA Network Newsletter.
- 2018. Journal of Anthropological Films (JAF) celebrates its first year . NAFA Network Newsletter.
- 2018. Blant turister og helbredende boller i Himalaya. Årbok for Universitetsmuseet i Bergen. 56-61.
- 2019. Enhjørningen.
- 2019. Verdsbilete.
- 2018. Den vanskelege reisa.
- 2017. Review of NAFA 2017 - Anthropological Film Festival and Conference, Aarhus, August 2017.
- 2019. Amerikakoffert og mobiltelefon – identitetsbærende gjenstander ved migrasjon. 128-138. In:
- 2019. Inkluderende museer. Kulturkunnskap og -arbeid som katalysator for god inkludering. Norges museumsforbund.