Aklilu Tilahun Tadesse
- Phone+47 55 95 90 00+47 403 86 834
- Visitor AddressFosswinckels gate 6Lauriz Meltzers hus5007 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78025020 Bergen
Why did you decide to do a PhD in system dynamics?
As an educator with trainings in Physics, Computer Science, and System Dynamics, I always look into ways on how to teach effectively the core and complex concepts in the different subjects to fellow students. I found that a PhD in System Dynamics at UiB would help to synergize my diverse background and to find effective strategies that would support higher education students in their study of complex dynamic systems.
Short summary of PhD project
The concepts taught under the System Dynamics (SD) program often break down the barriers among fields such as natural science, engineering, political science, economics, law, education, medicine etc. Furthermore, students who register to the SD program often come with diverse academic, cultural, and experiential backgrounds and perspectives. Teaching such diverse group of students under the same class is often a challenge.
My PhD project focuses on how to teach effectively about complex dynamics systems to divers group of students. The project aims to develop and test effective educational methods, techniques and tools that support students in their study of complex dynamic systems.
The project has planned to support both online and face-to-face instructions. To support the online learning, a personalized and adaptive online learning environment has been developed on the bases of holistic instructional design principles. For the face-to face instruction, a flipped classroom strategy has been adopted.
- (2019). Framework to support personalized learning in complex systems. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education. 57-85.
- (2021). Adapting Interactive Learning Environments to Student Competences: The Case for Complex Dynamic Systems .
- (2017). Participatory system dynamics mapping for collaboration and socioecological integration in the Lake Tana region. 16 pages.