- Phone+47 413 72 304
- Visitor AddressOverlege Danielssens Hus (4th floor)Årstadveien 215009 BergenRoom445
- Postal AddressPostboks 78045020 Bergen
Anand Bhopal is a PhD Research Fellow at the Bergen Centre for Ethics and Priority Setting (BCEPS), within the Department for Global Health and Primary Care and an affiliate researcher at the Centre for Climate and Energy Transformation (CET) at the University of Bergen. He is a medical doctor and holds a Masters degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics of Health from University College London.
His PhD project explores the intersection of priority setting, climate change and healthcare decarbonisation with a focus on low- and middle-income country perspectives. The research aims to assist policy makers prioritise different health and climate-related interventions.
Previous positions include working in the Medical Director’s Office of Public Health England (2017-2018), as a participant in the UK National Medical Director’s Clinical Fellowship Scheme, and junior researcher at the Unit for Migration Health at the Norwegian Institute for Public Health (FHI).
- (2021). Priority setting and net zero healthcare: how much health can a tonne of carbon buy? The BMJ.
- (2021). Climate change and health in Ethiopia: To what extent have the health dimensions of climate change been integrated into the Climate-Resilient Green Economy? World Medical & Health Policy (WMHP).
- (2021). The Norwegian Oil Fund in a Warming World: What are the Interests of Future Generations? Ethics, Policy & Environment.
- (2021). Klimakrisen: Helsevesenet må ta ansvar. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- (2021). How much health can a ton of carbon buy? Tropical medicine & international health.
- Bhopal A. Attitude and the 21st century doctor. The Lancet Global Health. 2015; 3:e126–e127
Bhopal A, Baker PA, Meldrum JL, Chan JKM, Gopfert APN. Embed a public health ethos in the medical workforce. The Lancet. 2015; 385: 853–854.
Bhopal A., Chapter 7: Current and Emerging Health Protection Issues, Health Profile for England: 2018. Public Health England, London: UK. (Accessed: 15.11.21)
Regmi S & Bhopal A. Specific Global Health Challenges: Neglected Tropical Diseases, pp. 178-183, in Essentials of Global Health, ISBN: 9780702066078, 2018; Elsevier, London, UK (Eds: Sethia B & Kumar P)
Bhopal, A. (2019). Grappling with responsibility, dementia and death: notes of a junior doctor. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, 49(1), 92-94.
Bhopal A., Blanchard, K., Weber, R., & Murray, V. Disasters and food security: The impact on health. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 2019; 33: 1-4.
Bhopal A, Medhim H, Bærøe K, Norheim OF. Climate change and health in Ethiopia: To what extent have the health dimensions of climate change been integrated into the Climate‐Resilient Green Economy. World Medical & Health Policy. 2021, May.
Bhopal, A. The Norwegian Oil Fund in a warming world: what are the interests of future generations?. Ethics, Policy & Environment. 2021, Jun
Bhopal, A., & Shrivastava, S. H. Editorial: Klimakrisen: Helsevesenet må ta ansvar [Norwegian]. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 2021, Sep.
Bhopal A., Norheim OF. Priority setting and net zero healthcare: how much health can a tonne of carbon buy? BMJ, 2021, Oct.
Grønt Helsevesen ('Decarbonising Healthcare')
Centre for Climate and Energy Transformation CET accelerator funded project (January-October 2021) which aims to build a coalition of researchers, clinicians and policy makers working towards decarbonising Norwegian health care while maintaining and improving health outcomes. More details here: https://www.uib.no/en/bceps/148406/report-launch-gr%C3%B8nt-helsevesen-%...
Recent newspaper and popular scientific articles:
- Brendbekken A, Bhopal A. Oljefondets mandat bør diskuteres – av et borgerpanel [Norwegian]. Klassekampen. 18th February 2020.
- Bhopal S, Bola GK, Hughes R, Gopfert A, Bhopal A. Can we improve the NHS’s ability to tackle covid-19 through emergency public health interventions? BMJ Opinion, 24th March 2020.
- Hughes R, Bhopal S, Bhopal A, Gopfert A. Measures to increase capacity in hospitals. The Times. 25th March 2020.
- Bhopal A, Eriksen SS. Helsearbeidere slår alarm: Den norske helsesektoren trenger en klimaplan. Forskersonen.no. 11th August 2021