- Phone+47 55 58 61 19
- Visitor AddressAlrek helseklynge, blokk D, Årstadveien 175009 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78045020 Bergen
I am a Medical doctor and postdoctoral fellow at the Bergen Centre for Ethics and Priority setting in Health (BCEPS) University of Bergen. I hold a PhD in medical anthropology focusing on the implementation of global maternal health care policies in Burkina Faso. My main fieldwork experience comes from Burkina Faso, Ethiopia and Norway.
Currently, I am mainly working in two different research projects:
-Priorities in practice: A study of meso-level priorities within a Norwegian hospital trust. This is a long-term ethnographic study that aims to apture the ways in which priorities come into practice at the hospital management team in a Norwegian hospial trust.
-An interdisciplinary initiative to strengthen maternal health services and surveillance in Ethiopia and Tanzania (MATRISET) funded by the Research Council of Norway. The aim of this project is to improve the quality of maternal mortality reporting to strengthen the knowledge on which to base remedial action to reduce maternal deaths.
Learn more about Andrea's work: Exploring the interphases between global policies and local practices
Health priorities; Qualitative methods; Global health governance; Global maternal health; Health systems; Metrics
- (2022). “Death audit is a fight” – provider perspectives on the ethics of the Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) system in Ethiopia. BMC Health Services Research. 11 pages.
- (2022). Interviewing adolescent girls about sexual and reproductive health: a qualitative study exploring how best to ask questions in structured follow-up interviews in a randomized controlled trial in Zambia. Reproductive Health.
- (2020). Juridification of maternal deaths in Ethiopia: A study of the Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) system. Health Policy and Planning. 900-905.
- (2019). 'Maternal deaths should simply be 0': Politicization of maternal death reporting and review processes in Ethiopia. Health Policy and Planning. 492-498.
- (2018). Towards universal health coverage: including undocumented migrants. BMJ Global Health.
- (2018). Policy, paperwork and 'postographs': Global indicators and maternity care documentation in rural Burkina Faso. Social Science and Medicine. 28-35.
- (2017). Towards universal health coverage for undocumented migrants? . Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- (2016). Reflections on the unintended consequences of the promotion of institutional pregnancy and birth care in Burkina Faso. PLOS ONE.
- (2016). Reflections on the Unintended Consequencesof the Promotion of Institutional Pregnancyand Birth Care in Burkina Faso. PLOS ONE.
- (2016). Møtet med den papirløse pasient –en etisk analyse. Utposten.
- (2016). 'We saw she was in danger, but couldn't do anything': Missed opportunities and health worker disempowerment during birth care in rural Burkina Faso. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 1-11.
- (2013). Accountability and health worker performance in primary care maternities in rural Burkina Faso.
- (2012). Referral as relief: Health workers' experience of obstetric referrals from primary health care facilities in rural Burkina Faso.
- (2012). Obstetric care in primary health centres in rural Burkina Faso from a health worker perspective. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. 113-113.