I am a Medical doctor and PhD Fellow at the Centre for International Health, University of Bergen. My research interests center around the field of global maternal health, and include the role of indicators in maternal health, the quality of institutional childbirth care, maternal death surveillance and response systems and interventions to prevent teenage pregnancy. My main fieldwork experience comes from Burkina Faso and Ethiopia.
Learn more about Andrea's work: Exploring the interphases between global policies and local practices
Qualitative methods; Global health governance; Global maternal health; Health systems
- 2020. Juridification of maternal deaths in Ethiopia: A study of the Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) system. Health Policy and Planning. 900-905.
- 2019. 'Maternal deaths should simply be 0': Politicization of maternal death reporting and review processes in Ethiopia. Health Policy and Planning. 492-498.
- 2018. Towards universal health coverage: including undocumented migrants. BMJ Global Health.
- 2018. Policy, paperwork and 'postographs': Global indicators and maternity care documentation in rural Burkina Faso. Social Science and Medicine. 28-35.
- 2017. Towards universal health coverage for undocumented migrants? . Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- 2016. Reflections on the unintended consequences of the promotion of institutional pregnancy and birth care in Burkina Faso. PLOS ONE.
- 2016. Reflections on the Unintended Consequencesof the Promotion of Institutional Pregnancyand Birth Care in Burkina Faso. PLOS ONE.
- 2016. Møtet med den papirløse pasient –en etisk analyse. Utposten.
- 2016. 'We saw she was in danger, but couldn't do anything': Missed opportunities and health worker disempowerment during birth care in rural Burkina Faso. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 1-11.
- 2013. Accountability and health worker performance in primary care maternities in rural Burkina Faso.
- 2012. Referral as relief: Health workers' experience of obstetric referrals from primary health care facilities in rural Burkina Faso.
- 2012. Obstetric care in primary health centres in rural Burkina Faso from a health worker perspective. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. 113-113.