- Phone+47 55 58 65 50
- Visitor AddressJonas Liesvei 915009 BergenRoom9th floor, Bygg for Biologiske Basalfag (BBB)
- Postal AddressPostboks 78075020 BERGEN
In my PhD-project I use a rat model to simulate shift work. I investigate how shift work affects the circadian rhythm, metabolism and the brain.
Shift work is associated with mulitple negative health outcomes such as disrupted waking function, sleep disturbances and metabolic problems. I aim to find explanations of why and how these problems arise.
Time affects everything that happens in our bodies - Popular science article in Aftenposten Viten, on print 10/10/2017; in Norwegian
Why do some night workers become overweight? - Popular science article in Best Practise Diabetes Hjerte/Karsykdommer; in Norwegian
Study in rats showed that enough sleep does not help against sleepy nightshifts - article at NRK, in Norwegian
No Escaping the Rat Race: Simulated Night Shift Work Alters the Time-of-Day Variation in BMAL1 Translational Activity in the Prefrontal Cortex. Marti AR, Patil S, Mrdalj J, Meerlo P, Skrede S, Pallesen S, Pedersen TT, Bramham CR, Grønli J. Frontiers in Neural Circuits, 2017 11;70). Link.
Shift in food intake and changes in metabolic regulation and gene expression during simulated night-shift work. A rat model. Marti AR, Meerlo P, Grønli J, van Hasselt SJ, Mrdalj J, Pallesen S, Pedersen TT, Henriksen TEG, Skrede S. Nutrients, 2016 Nov 8;8(11). pii: E712. Link.
A rodent model of night-shift work induces short-term and enduring sleep and electroencephalographic disturbances. Grønli J, Meerlo P, Pedersen TT, Pallesen S, Skrede S, Marti AR, Wisor JP, Murison R, Henriksen TEG, Rempe MJ, Mrdalj J. J Biol Rhythm, 2017 Feb;32(1):48-63. doi: 10.1177/0748730416675460. Link.
- 2018. Nattarbeid og den trøtte hjernen- kan lys hjelpe? SØVN. 30-33.
- 2018. Mathematical modeling of sleep state dynamics in a rodent model of shift work. Neurobiology of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms. 5: 37-51. doi: 10.1016/j.nbscr.2018.04.002
- 2017. Tid påvirker alt som skjer i kroppene våre. Aftenposten Viten. 16-17. Published 2017-10-10.
- 2017. No escaping the rat race: simulated night shift work alters the time-of-day variation in BMAL1 translational activity in the prefrontal cortex. Frontiers in Neural Circuits. 11:70: 1-12. doi: 10.3389/fncir.2017.00070
- 2016. A rodent model of night-shift work induces short-term and enduring sleep and electroencephalographic disturbances. Journal of Biological Rhythms. 32: 48-63. doi: 10.1177/0748730416675460
- 2016. Shift in food intake and changes in metabolic regulation and gene expression during simulated night-shiftwork: A rat model. Nutrients. 8:712: 1-13. doi: 10.3390/nu8110712
- 2016. Simulated night work alters clock gene expression in central and peripheral tissue in rats. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 57-57. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. A rat model for shiftwork: Effects on sleep architecture and sleep homeostasis. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 248-249. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446