My research is centred around the processes and consequences of fluid-solid interactions. Parts of my research aim at addressing purely scientific questions while others are relevant for the minerals and resources industry. I use a cross-disciplinary research approach integrating shipboard/field work with experimental techniques, numerical modeling, and textural characterization and analysis. I am particularly interested in the timescales and processes of reactive fluid flow and mass transport through the oceanic and continental crust, the formation and alteration of mineral deposits by hydrothermal fluids, and using the constraints from these natural laboratories to tailor fluid-driven solid-solid replacement experiments to better understand metal extraction from Earth materials.
- 2020. Desulphurisation, chromite alteration, and bulk rock PGE redistribution in massive chromitite due to hydrothermal overprint of the Panton Intrusion, east Kimberley, Western Australia. Ore Geology Reviews.
- 2019. Monazite as a monitor for melt‐rock interaction during cooling and exhumation. Journal of Metamorphic Geology.
- 2019. Mg isotope fractionation during continental weathering and low temperature carbonation of ultramafic rocks. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- 2019. Large-Scale Stable Isotope Alteration Around the Hydrothermal Carbonate-Replacement Cinco de Mayo Zn-Ag Deposit, Mexico . Economic Geology and The Bulletin of the Society of Economic Geologists.
- 2019. Kinetics and mineralogical analysis of copper dissolution from a bornite/chalcopyrite composite sample in ferric-chloride and methanesulfonic-acid solutions. Hydrometallurgy.
- 2019. Feedback of mantle metasomatism on olivine micro–fabric and seismic properties of the deep lithosphere. Lithos.
- 2018. Peridotite weathering is the missing ingredient of Earth's continental crust composition. Nature Communications. 12 pages.
- 2017. The Engineer Mine, British Columbia: An example of epithermal Au-Ag mineralization with mixed alkaline and subalkaline characteristics. Ore Geology Reviews. 235-257.
- 2017. Subarctic physicochemical weathering of serpentinized peridotite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 11-26.
- 2017. Stable Isotope (δ13C, δ18O) Analysis of Sulfide-Bearing Carbonate Samples Using Laser Absorption Spectrometry . Economic Geology.
- 2017. Multi-scale magnetic mapping of serpentinite carbonation. Nature Communications. 10 pages.
- 2014. Inter-mineral Mg isotope fractionation during hydrothermal ultramafic rock alteration - Implications for the global Mg-cycle. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 166-176.
- 2014. Garnets within geode-like serpentinite veins: Implications for element transport, hydrogen production and life-supporting environment formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 454-471.
- 2012. Massive serpentinite carbonation at Linnajavri, N-Norway. Terra Nova. 446-455.
- 2012. In situ sequestration of atmospheric CO2 at low temperature and surface cracking of serpentinized peridotite in mine shafts. Chemical Geology. 32-44.
- 2011. Experimental study of the carbonation of partially serpentinized and weathered peridotites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 6760-6779.
- 2010. Trace-element mobilization during Ca-metasomatism along a major fluid conduit: Eclogitization of blueschist as a consequence of fluid-rock interaction. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 1892-1922.
- 2010. CO2 sequestration and extreme Mg depletion in serpentinized peridotite clasts from the Devonian Solund basin, SW-Norway. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 6935-6964.
- 2009. Mobilization of trace-elements due to Ca-metasomatically induced eclogitization of blueschist.
- 2009. Channeled Fluid Flow Through Slabs: Reactive Porosity Waves.
- 2015. Subarctic physicochemical weathering of serpentinized peridotite.
- 2015. Fracture Formation due to Growth of Hydrous Carbonates.
- 2010. Pulse-like channelled long-distance fluid flow in subducting slabs.
- 2010. Naturally sequestered CO2 in ultramafic rocks – field examples from Norway.
- 2010. Calcium isotopes as tracers of high-pressure subduction-zone fluid-rock interaction.
- 2010. Calcium isotopes as tracers of high-pressure subduction-zone fluid-rock interaction. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. A367-A367.
- 2009. Channeled fluid flow through slabs: Reactive porosity waves. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. A599-A599.
- 2009. CO2 sequestration and extreme Mg leaching in serpentinized peridotite clasts of the Solund Devonian Basin, SW-Norway. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. A105-A105.
- 2014. Fragmentation and Carbonation of Serpentinized Dunites.
- 2010. Mineral replacements during carbonation of peridotite: implications for CO2 sequestration in ultramafic rocks.
- 2010. Long-term CO2 storage in weathered peridotite due to replacement of low-T altered olivine (deweylite) by calcite.
- 2010. Constraining conditions of metasomatism in the oceanic lithosphere.
- 2010. Carbonatization of peridotite within a sedimentary environment.
- 2010. Calcification of weathered peridotites in laboratory experiments.
- 2010. CO2 sequestration and extreme Mg leaching in serpentinized peridotite clasts of the Solund Devonian Basin, SW-Norway.
- 2009. Sequestering Carbon Dioxide via Mineral Reactions in Peridotites: Insights from Natural Examples and Experimental Approaches.
- 2009. CO2 sequestration and extreme Mg leaching in serpentinized peridotite clasts of the Solund Devonian Basin, SW-Norway.
Deciphering recharge of the deep long-term carbon cycle
This is an ongoing research project in the Linnajavri area of northern Norway. The project builds upon previous fieldwork in the area and is focused on large-scale devolatilization textures, suggesting release of C-bearing aqueous fluid at relatively low metamorphic conditions. We are interpreting the reactions observed as representative for those anticipated during subduction of carbonate-bearing oceanic lithosphere. The project is in collaboration with O. Plümper (Utrecht University, NL).
Understanding fluid-rock interactions and lixiviant/oxidant behaviour for the in-situ recovery of metals from deep ore bodies (Co-PI; funded by MRIWA grant M488)
Experimental project in collaboration with CSIRO and Curtin University investigating the behaviour of a variety of lixiviant/oxidant systems under a range of temperatures and pressures expected to occur in a mineralised in-situ leaching environment. The study is aimed at understanding the interaction between the fluid and Cu-sulphide (chalcopyrite/bornite) with a focus on the reaction mechanisms, mineral dissolution rates and secondary mineral formation.
Carbonation of the Oman ophiolite
Participation through shipboard core logging aboard D/V Chikyu and post-cruise research in the Oman Drilling Project (OmanDP; ICDP Exp. 5057; https://www.omandrilling.ac.uk/).