Professor, Head of Research Center for Sleep, Work and Health and Bergen Sleep and Chronobiology Network
- Phone+47 55 58 32 19
- Visitor AddressAlrek helseklynge, blokk DÅrstadveien 175020 BergenRoom4th floor, 4D5.1
- Postal AddressPostboks 78075020 Bergen
Sleep and performance
- (2022). The impact of follower leadership position on transformational leadership as moderator of the association between work-related ambiguity and job satisfaction. Frontiers in Psychology. 11 pages.
- (2022). The association between shift work disorder and turnover intention among nurses. BMC Nursing. 8 pages.
- (2022). Sleep and work functioning in nurses undertaking inpatient shifts in a blue-depleted light environment. BMC Nursing. 1-10.
- (2022). Sleep and Sleepiness Measured by Diaries and Actigraphy among Norwegian and Austrian Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) Pilots. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH).
- (2022). Protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis on the associations between shift work and sickness absence. Systematic Reviews.
- (2022). Performance in youth track and field is associated with birth quartile. A register-based study among athletes in Norway from 10 years to senior level. PLOS ONE. 12 pages.
- (2022). Health-promoting work schedules: protocol for a large-scale cluster randomised controlled trial on the effects of a work schedule without quick returns on sickness absence among healthcare workers. BMJ Open. 1-10.
- (2022). Healing the wounds of workplace bullying: Evaluating mental health and workplace participation among victims seeking treatment for common mental disorders. Work : A journal of Prevention, Assesment and rehabilitation. 1379-1391.
- (2022). Crisis leadership in COVID-19: A qualitative study of Norwegian business leaders. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2022). Changes in the Work Schedule of Nurses Related to the COVID-19 Pandemic and Its Relationship with Sleep and Turnover Intention. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). 12 pages.
- (2022). Bright light exposure during simulated night work improves cognitive flexibility. Chronobiology International. 948-963.
- (2021). Stability and Change of the Personality Traits Languidity and Flexibility in a Sample of Nurses: A 7–8 Years Follow-Up Study. Frontiers in Psychology. 9 pages.
- (2021). Sleep patterns among Norwegian nurses between the first and second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC Nursing. 7 pages.
- (2021). Prevalence of shift work disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2021). Exposure to bullying behaviours, resilience, and return to work self-efficacy in patients with common mental disorders. Industrial Health. 180-192.
- (2021). Changes in work schedule affect the prevalence of shift work disorder among Norwegian nurses–a two year follow-up study. Chronobiology International. 924-932.
- (2021). Associations between exposure to workplace bullying and insomnia. A cross-lagged prospective study of causal directions. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 1003-1011.
- (2020). Subjective and objective sleep among air ambulance personnel. Chronobiology International. 129-139.
- (2020). Role of nocturnal light intensity on adaptation to three consecutive night shifts: a counterbalanced crossover study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 249-255.
- (2020). Clinical characteristics of patients seeking treatment for common mental disorders presenting with workplace bullying experiences. . Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2020). Blue-enriched white light improves performance but not subjective alertness and circadian adaptation during three consecutive simulated night shifts. Frontiers in Psychology. 1-16.
- (2020). Alerting and Circadian Effects of Short-Wavelength vs. Long-Wavelength Narrow-Bandwidth Light during a Simulated Night Shift. Clocks & Sleep. 502-522.
- (2020). Accumulated long-term exposure to workplace bullying impairs psychological hardiness: A five-year longitudinal study among nurses. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). 1-12.
- (2019). Working hour characteristics and schedules among nurses in three Nordic countries – a comparative study using payroll data. BMC Nursing. 1-10.
- (2019). Sleepiness among personnel in the Norwegian Air Ambulance Service. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 1121-1130.
- (2019). Short rest between shifts (quick returns) and night work is associated with work-related accidents. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 829-835.
- (2019). Causes and management of sleepiness among pilots in a Norwegian and an Austrian air ambulance service—a comparative study. Air Medical Journal. 25-29.
- (2018). Workplace inclusion of employees with back pain and mental health problems: A focus group study about employees' experiences . Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 8 pages.
- (2018). Variability in staff perceptions of patient safety culture in Norwegian nursing homes — a longitudinal cross-sectional study. Safety in health. 10 pages.
- (2018). The role of hardiness in the bullying-mental health relationship. Occupational Medicine. 64-66.
- (2018). Protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis of research on the associations between workplace bullying and sleep. Systematic Reviews. 1-7.
- (2018). Predictors of return to work in patients on sick leave with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 193-199.
- (2018). Long working hours are inversely related to sick leave in the following 3 months: a 4-year registry study. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 10 pages.
- (2018). God under press. En operasjonalisering av moralsk robusthet i krevende operative Situasjoner. Necesse. 72-82.
- (2017). The effects of sleep deprivation on soccer skills. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 812-829.
- (2017). Sleep detriments associated with quick returns in rotating shift work: a diary study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 522-527.
- (2017). Healthcare staff perceptions of patient safety culture in nursing home settings - a cross-sectional study. Open Journal of Nursing. 1069-1085.
- (2017). Cardiorespiratory fitness is associated with selective attention and inhibitory control in healthy male high-school students. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 1-8.
- (2017). Brief intervention, physical exercise and cognitive behavioural group therapy for patients with chronic low back pain (The CINS trial). European Journal of Pain. 1397-1407.
- (2017). A comparative study of sleep and mood between young elite athletes and age-matched controls. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 465-473.
- (2016). Short rest between shift intervals increases the risk of sick leave: a prospective registry study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 496-501.
- (2016). Return to work in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain: multidisciplinary intervention versus brief intervention: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 82-91.
- (2016). Reduction in sick leave by a workplace educational low back pain intervention: A cluster randomized controlled trial. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 571-579.
- (2016). Multidisciplinary intervention in patients with musculoskeletal pain: a randomized clinical trial. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 1-11.
- (2016). Cortisol, Health, and Coping in Patients with Nonspecific Low Back Pain. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. 9-16.
- (2016). Cognitive Interventions and Nutritional Supplements (The CINS Trial): A Randomized Controlled, Multicenter Trial Comparing a Brief Intervention with Additional Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Seal Oil, and Soy Oil for Sick-Listed Low Back Pain Patients. Spine. 1557-1564.
- (2015). Restricted use of electronic media, sleep, performance, and mood in high school athletes - a randomized trial. Sleep Health. 314-321.
- (2015). Odor-related chronic somatic symptoms are associated with self-reported asthma and hay fever; the Hordaland Health Study. Iranian Journal of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. 19-27.
- (2015). Noise exposure and cognitive performance: A study on personnel on board Royal Norwegian Navy vessels. Noise & Health. 320-327.
- (2015). Impact of mindfulness training on physiological measures of stress and objective measures of attention control in a military helicopter unit. The International Journal of Aviation Psychology. 191-208.
- (2015). Diurnal cortisol rhythm: Associated with anxiety and depression, or just an indication of lack of energy? Psychiatry Research. 209-215.
- (2014). The role of stress in absenteeism: Cortisol responsiveness among patients on long-term sick leave. PLOS ONE. 9 pages.
- (2014). How can a brief intervention contribute to coping with back pain? A focus group study about participants' experiences. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 821-826.
- (2013). Subjective health complaints and self-rated health: are expectancies more important than socioeconomic status and workload? International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 411-420.
- (2012). Subjective and objective sleepiness among oil rig workers during three different shift schedules. Sleep Medicine. 64-72.
- (2011). Saliva cortisol levels in construction workers in the Arctic (78°N). International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 542-551.
- (2011). Adaptation and readaptation to different shift work schedules measured with sleep diary and actigraphy. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology. 331-344.
- (2010). Diurnal rhythm in British Antarctic personnel. Rural and remote health.
- (2010). Cortisol, reaction time test and health among offshore shift workers. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1339-1347.
- (2009). Subjective health complaints, stress, and coping in orchestra musicians. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 58-62.
- (2008). The most successful method in teaching nursing students infection control - E-learning or lecture? Nurse Education Today. 798-806.
- (2008). Nursing students' learning of managing cross-infections - Scenario-based simulation training versus study groups. Nurse Education Today. 664-671.
- (2007). Coffee, stress and cortisol in nursing staff. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 322-330.
- (2015). Co-ordination of research on working hours and health in the Nordic countries. .
Popular scientific lecture
- (2022). Forskning på kort hviletid (quick return).
- (2022). Arbeidstid hos sykepleiere.
- (2022). Reversal learning and working memory scanning task performance improve with bright light exposure during simulated night work: a counterbalanced crossover study.
- (2019). The moderating effect of resilience factors on exposure to bullying behaviours and return to work self-efficacy in patients with common mental disorders.
- (2019). Effects of Different Light Intensities on Adaptation to Simulated Night Shifts: A Randomized Counterbalanced Crossover Study.
- (2018). The moderating effect of resilience factors on exposure to bullying behaviours and return to work self-efficacy in patients with common mental disorders.
- (2014). Patient safety culture in nursing homes - the role of leadership.
- (2020). A longitudinal study on the association between quick returns and occupational accidents. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health. 645-649.
Popular scientific article
- (2020). Kveldsskift følgd av eit dagskift: Kva konsekvensar har "quick return"-vakter for søvn, helse og sikkerheit? Tidsskriftet SØVN. 27-31.
- (2022). Treating the aftermath of exposure to workplace bullying and preventing exclusion from working life: The effect of individual resilience, return to work self-efficacy and work-focused metacognitive and cognitive treatment.
- (2017). Shift work. The importance of sufficient time for rest between shifts.
- (2016). Staying at Work. The role of expectancies and beliefs in health and workplace interventions.
- (2011). Adaptation and health in extreme and isolated environments – from 78ºN to 75ºS.
- (2019). Handballstjerna håpar ny mensenforsking kan gi svar på kva som gjekk gale.
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- (2019). Mestring av stress. 12 pages.
- (2012). Stress og mestring i et helsefremmende perspektiv. 14 pages.
- (2012). Socioeconomic status, demographic and salivary cortisol. 26 pages.
- (2012). Biological Markers and Salivary Cortisol. 29 pages.
- (2012). Diurnal cortisol rhythm: Associated with anxiety and depression, or just an indication of lack of energy? Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 484-484.
- (2010). THE ROLE OF SALIVA CORTISOL MEASUREMENTS IN HEALTH AND DISEASE - A MATTER OF THEORY AND METHODOLOGY. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 206-206.
- (2010). SHIFT WORK, CORTISOL, REACTION TIME TEST AND HEALTH AMONG OFFSHORE WORKERS. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 88-88.
- (2022). Shift work, sleep and turnover intention during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- (2022). Shift work, sleep and turnover intention during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- (2020). The association between shift work disorder and turnover intention among nurses.
- (2018). Effects of bright light on sleepiness and cognitive performance during simulated night shift work.
- (2016). Improving patient safety culture in Norwegian nursing homes: Validating the NHSOPSC instrument.
- (2012). Cortisol, Subjective Health Complaints and Coping in Patients with Unspecific Low Back Pain.
- (2012). Chronic odor-released somatic symptoms; the cross-sectional Hordaland Health Study.
- (2008). CINS - CBT and seal oil for long-term low back pain patients.
Academic literature review
- (2020). Workplace bullying and sleep - A systematic review and meta-analysis of the research literature. Sleep Medicine Reviews. 12 pages.
- (2016). Systematic review of the relationship between quick returns in rotating shift work and health-related outcomes. Ergonomics. 1-14.
- (2016). Psychometric properties of the Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture in Norwegian nursing homes. BMC Health Services Research. 11 pages.
- (2015). Sleep, circadian rhythms, and athletic performance. Sleep Medicine Reviews. 1-9.
Article in business/trade/industry journal
- (2017). Kortisol reaktivitet – assosiert med angst og depresjon, eller bare en indikator for pasientens energinivå? Best practice psykiatri /nevrologi.
- (2021). Psykososiale faktorer i arbeidet. 16-47. In:
- (2021). Det gode arbeidsmiljø. Krav og utfordringer. 3.utgave. Fagbokforlaget.
- (2019). Emosjoner, stress og mestring. 137-169. In:
- (2019). Operativ psykologi 2. Fagbokforlaget.
- (2018). Emosjoner, stres og mestring. 137-169. In:
- (2018). Operativ psykologi- 3.utgave. Fagbokforlaget.
- (2017). Stress, mestring og helse i arbeidslivet. 147-173. In:
- (2017). Organisasjon og ledelse. Gyldendal Akademisk.
- (2016). Stress, mestring og helsefremmende tiltak i organisasjoner. 301-3122. In:
- (2016). Den dyktige medarbeider. Behov og forventninger. 2.utgave. Fagbokforlaget.