Anna Marlene Karlsson
- Phone+47 55 58 80 29
- Visitor AddressØysteinsgate 3
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 Bergen
My PhD project aims to analyse cultural heritage policy, and the concept of cultural heritage within Sweden and Norway over a period of 50 years. Cultural heritage has gradually taken a larger place in the field of cultural policy in both Norway and Sweden since the new cultural policy in the 1970s. As the concept of cultural heritage has been used more and more frequently - both politically and in the society at large – the concept’s extent and definition has changed and today includes a huge variety of objects, buildings and practises. Politically, heritage has gone from being something that only needs to be preserved, to become something that can be used as a resource in society, which is also reflected in how the concept is used in the latest governmental policy documents in Norway and Sweden.
The project wants to analyse the changing values, functions and definitions in cultural heritage policy over time, to highlight how theses changes correlates to changes in society, and the problematic aspects about the expanding use of the concept of cultural heritage as re-labelling older practises, institutions and objects.
The comparative perspective between Norway and Sweden is meant to highlight both the similarities and differences between two modern welfare states. By focusing on the concept of cultural heritage, it is also possible to investigate changes that affect how we use the past to create the present, and to visualise the future. This is an essential part of the cultural heritage policy of Norway and Sweden today, since visions of what future we wish for, determines what we chose to keep and value, which then creates the prerequisites for said future.
- 2018. "Nostalgi över tid: en kort begreppshistoria". Molo idehistorisk studenttidsskrift. 7.
- 2016. "Is the past a foreign country? A question about time". Fortid. 13: 52-58.
- 2018. Kulturarvspolitik. En analys av kulturarvsbegreppet i den svenska regeringens kulturarvsproposition 2017. DUO: Universitetet i Oslo. 78 pages.
- 2015. Första världskriget i svensk skönlitteratur. Krigsberättelser i en neutral nation 1944-2014. DUO: Universitetet i Oslo. 110 pages.
- 2017. "Den öde ön som plats i Ida Hegazi Høyers Fortellingen om øde". Kap 8, pages 177-195. In:
- 2017. Norsk litterær årbok 2017. Det Norske Samlaget. 286 pages. ISBN: 9788252194081.