I am interested in the anthropogenic causes of contemporary evolution, in particular I studied fisheries-induced evolution with guppies and medaka as model species.
Currently, I evaluate the cost of life-history adaptations on multiple traits at the University of Bergen with selected lines of guppies and the ecological consequences of such adaptations in medaka.
Former projects involved studying the effect of eutrophication and inbreeding due to habitat destruction on mating and parental care behaviour in the sand goby and the least killifish at Åbo Akademi and at the University of Helsinki, respectively.
- 2019. Water turbidity constrains male mating success in a marine fish. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.
- 2019. Selection for small body size favours contrasting sex-specific life histories, boldness and feeding in medaka, Oryzias latipes. BMC Evolutionary Biology.
- 2017. Effects of ambient oxygen and size-selective mortality on maturation and growth in guppies. Conservation Physiology. 1-13.
- 2017. Behavioural responses to human-induced change: Why fishing should not be ignored. Evolutionary Applications. 231-240.
- 2015. Opposite selection on behavioural types by active and passive fishing gears in a simulated guppy Poecilia reticulata fishery. Journal of Fish Biology. 1030-1045.
- 2015. Fisheries-induced evolution. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics. 461-480.
- 2013. The importance of social dimension and maturation stage for the probabilistic maturation reaction norm in Poecilia reticulata. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 2184-2196.
- 2013. Ecological and evolutionary effects of harvesting: lessons from the candy-fish experiment. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 1281-1286.
- 2009. Strong inbreeding depression in male mating behaviour in a poeciliid fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 1396-1406.
- 2017. Genomic effects of fishery-induced selection in guppy Poecilia reticulate.
- 2017. Fisheries-induced evolution: Insights from experimental populations of guppies.
- 2015. Does size-selective fishing affect behavioural diversity?
- 2014. Phenotypic and genetic changes in life history traits in experimental populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata) that experienced size-selective fishing.
- 2014. Does fishing affect behaviour? An experimental test with guppy (Poecilia reticulata) populations.
- 2014. Changes in productivity and life-history traits in experimentally harvested guppy populations.
- 2012. Dynamics of size-selective exploitation and changes in life history traits in experimental populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata).
- 2014. Changes in growth under size-selective mortality using otolith microstructure analysis.
- 2010. Bærekraftige forvaltning av fiskebestander. Følger fiskeriforskerne sine egne teorier? Naturen. 109-112.
- 2012. Contemporary evolution caused by fisheries: Contributions from experimental studies.
- 2018. Evolutionary effect of fishing as predation: Insights from experimental populations.
- 2013. Fisheries impact on life-history: Phenotypic changes in life-history of size-selected guppy populations.
- 2012. The behavioural effect of fishing. Do personality types differ in vulnerability to fishing gear?
- 2011. Experimental approach to the study of fisheries induced evolution.
- 2010. Inbreeding depression in male mating behaviour of Heterandria formosa.
- 2010. Estimation of Probabilistic Maturation Reaction Norms (PMRN) under laboratory conditions.
- 2009. Can we harvest sustainably? An experimental approach with humans as the exploiting agents.
- 2014. What can selection experiments teach us about fisheries-induced evolution? 485-503.