I am interested in the anthropogenic causes of contemporary evolution, in particular I studied fisheries-induced evolution with guppies and medaka as model species.
Currently, I evaluate the cost of life-history adaptations on multiple traits at the University of Bergen with selected lines of guppies and the ecological consequences of such adaptations in medaka.
Former projects involved studying the effect of eutrophication and inbreeding due to habitat destruction on mating and parental care behaviour in the sand goby and the least killifish at Åbo Akademi and at the University of Helsinki, respectively.
- 2019. Selection for small body size favours contrasting sex-specific life histories, boldness and feeding in medaka, Oryzias latipes. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 19. doi: 10.1186/s12862-019-1460-x
- 2019. Water turbidity constrains male mating success in a marine fish. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. 73. Published 2019-10-25. doi: 10.1007/s00265-019-2752-2
- 2017. Effects of ambient oxygen and size-selective mortality on maturation and growth in guppies. Conservation Physiology. 5:cox010: 1-13. doi: 10.1093/conphys/cox010
- 2017. Behavioural responses to human-induced change: Why fishing should not be ignored. Evolutionary Applications. 10: 231-240. doi: 10.1111/eva.12456
- 2015. Opposite selection on behavioural types by active and passive fishing gears in a simulated guppy Poecilia reticulata fishery. Journal of Fish Biology. 86: 1030-1045. doi: 10.1111/jfb.12620
- 2015. Fisheries-induced evolution. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics. 46: 461-480. doi: 10.1146/annurev-ecolsys-112414-054339
- 2014. What can selection experiments teach us about fisheries-induced evolution? Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 111: 485-503. doi: 10.1111/bij.12241
- 2013. Ecological and evolutionary effects of harvesting: lessons from the candy-fish experiment. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 70: 1281-1286. doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fst160
- 2013. The importance of social dimension and maturation stage for the probabilistic maturation reaction norm in Poecilia reticulata. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 26: 2184-2196. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12215
- 2010. Bærekraftige forvaltning av fiskebestander. Følger fiskeriforskerne sine egne teorier? Naturen. 2. 109-112.
- 2009. Strong inbreeding depression in male mating behaviour in a poeciliid fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 22: 1396-1406. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01765.x
- 2012. Contemporary evolution caused by fisheries: Contributions from experimental studies. The University of Bergen. 200 pages.