My research is broadly focused on using remote sensing datasets to:
1) Characterise and identify landforms such as debris-covered glaciers and rock glaciers
2) Assess decadal scale planimetric and volumetric changes
I use a variety of remote sensing techniques including object-based image analysis (OBIA), deep learning and machine learning, photogrammetry and topographic analysis, structure from motion (SfM), LiDAR and time-series analysis. I'm active in research in the Nepali Himalayas, the Semi-Arid Andes, European Alps, Norwegian mainland, and the Tien Shan mountains. I am also an affiliated external member of the Mountain Cryosphere research group at the University of St Andrews.
- (2021). Combination of Aerial, Satellite, and UAV Photogrammetry for Quantifying Rock Glacier Kinematics in the Dry Andes of Chile (30°S) Since the 1950s. Frontiers in Remote Sensing.
- (2021). A pan-Himalayan test of predictions on plant species richness based on primary production and water-energy dynamics. Frontiers of Biogeography.
- (2020). Mass balance and surface evolution of the debris-covered Miage Glacier, 1990 - 2018 . Geomorphology.
- (2020). Long‐term impact of the proglacial lake Jökulsárlón on the flow velocity and stability of Breiðamerkurjökull glacier, Iceland. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 1-17.
- (2020). Automated detection of rock glaciers using deep learning and object-based image analysis. Remote Sensing of Environment.
- (2019). Surface melt driven summer diurnal and winter multi-day stick-slip motion and till sedimentology. Nature Communications.
- (2018). Spatial variability in patterns of glacier change across the Manaslu Range, Central Himalaya. Frontiers in Earth Science. 19 pages.
- (2018). Occurrence, evolution and ice content of ice‐debris complexes in the Ak‐Shiirak, Central Tien Shan revealed by geophysical and remotely‐sensed investigations. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 1-15.
- (2018). Erosional and depositional subglacial streamlining processes at Skálafellsjökull, Iceland: an analogue for a new bedform continuum model. GFF. 153-169.
- (2016). Decadal scale changes in Glacier area in the Hohe Tauern national park (Austria) determined by object-based image analysis. Remote Sensing. 23 pages.
- (2015). Automated classification of debris-covered glaciers combining optical, SAR and topographic data in an object-based environment . Remote Sensing of Environment. 372-387.
- (2014). Combining Spectral, Topographic And Sar Coherence Data Within An Object Based Classification Environment For The Automatic Classification Of Debris Covered Ice.
- (2018). Vulnerability of permafrost thaw and the emerging risks for the Arctic infrastructure.
- (2016). Quantification and Change Assessment of Debris-Covered Glaciers using Remote Sensing.
Please visit the CRISTIN link below to view an updated publication list
SLIDEM - Assessing the suitability of DEMs derived from Sentinel-1 for landslide volume estimation
CLAP - Research Program for Climate Action Planning in the Coqiumbo Region, Chile
JOSTICE - Natural and societal consequences of climate-forced changes of Jostedalsbreen Ice Cap
University of Wales, Aberystwyth (2007-2010) Geography, BSc
University of Bergen (2010-2012) Earth Science, MSc
University of Bergen (2012-2016) Physical Geography, PhD