- Visitor AddressFosswinckels gate 6Lauriz Meltzers hus5007 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78025020 Bergen
I position my research mainly in two central areas in media and journalism studies. The first is media technology with a focus on human-machine interaction, AI and data, the second is sustainable business models for journalism and media. However, some of my publications also cover other topics such as business journalism, media capture, nationalism in media and political communication. That means that beyond in-depth knowledge of two areas I also have a broader competence.
My scientific approach is empirical research with interdisciplinary and international collaboration with computer scientists, data linguists, designers as well as business researchers. I often employ my students as research assistants. Most of the research provides results from real life experiences and involves participation of journalists and the media industry. I have a history of participatory action research in several projects. My main research methods are interviews, surveys, document analysis and ethnographic studies but I also collaborate on computational methods such as data mining and text analysis.
Teaching data journalism, AI and journalism, business models for media and the impact from Silicon Valley on journalism and media.
- (2022). At the crossroads of logics: Automating newswork with artificial intelligence—(Re)defining journalistic logics from the perspective of technologists. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology.
- (2021). Journalistic Passion as Commodity: A Managerial Perspective. Journalism Studies. 1701-1719.
- (2021). Local political communication in a hybrid media system. 22 pages.
- (2021). Åland - A peculiar media system. Nordicom Review. 8-21.
Road to Freedom: How media and advertisers can reduce dependency on Silicon Valley tech companies https://blogs.helsinki.fi/road-to-freedom/ (2021)
Nordis: The Nordic Observatory for Digital Media and Information Disorder (2021-2023)
Augmented Journalism (2019-2022)