I have a BA and an MA in social anthropology from Stockholm University.
I'm doing my PhD as part of ERC-project "Egalitarianism: forms, processes, comparison". The focus of my research is architecture and urban planning in Singapore and China. Broadly, what interests me is the role that Singaporean architecture firms play in the urbanization of China. I'm interested in Singapore as a laboratory for experementing with new forms of "smart" or "green" urban planning - what is somethimes called the "future city" - models that are then exported to China. Specifically, I want to look at urban planning as a particular responce to the environmental crisis -- as crisis management from above. Some of my research questions include: How do architects and city planners, working in elite milieus and responding to elite interests, think about their own role in bringing about a sustainable future; for whom is this future planned; and what are the conditions of possibility (real or imaginary) of this future?
- 2016. Community and Consumption: Modernity, individualism and what it means to be “smart” .
- 2015. Far From Primitive.
- 2015. Anthropological approaches to urbanism: a critical overview.
- 2016. Trump, Ostasien och företagsstatens idé. Arbetaren.
- 2015. Have We Really Entered the Age of Post-Capitalism? CounterPunch.
- 2015. Moral, All-Too Moral: Satire, Morality, and Charlie Hebdo. 16 pages.