I am an evolutionary biologist with a background in arthropod systematics and evolution with a specific focus on spiders. Recently the taxonomic scope of my work has has been gradually expanding to include more branches of the Tree of life such as vascular plants and vertebrates. In my current research I aim to understand how underlying evolutionary and ecological process generate and maintain biodiversity through time and space. To do so I work on assembling all pieces of a complex puzzle: from describing species and their evolutionary history to understanding how individuals and their genes interact with the environment and with each other. I am particularly interested in understanding what are the factors that govern the patterns of biodiversity at different spatial scales, and the responses of communities and individual species to climate change. I combine species evolutionary histories, contemporary distributional data and information on historical distributions, past and contemporary climate and other environmental factors, in an attempt to elucidate some of the primary mechanisms underlying the distribution of life on Earth.
The list below contains the publications in CRIStin. For full list of publications and relevant metrics please visit my Google Scholar http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=mfemh8gAAAAJ or my Researcher ID http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-9563-2009
- 2020. Deceleration of morphological evolution in a cryptic species complex and its link to paleontological stasis. Evolution. 116-131.
- 2019. Phylogeny of the orb-weaving spider family Araneidae(Araneae: Araneoidea). Cladistics. 1-21.
- 2019. Monophyly, Taxon Sampling, and the Nature of Ranks in the Classification of Orb-Weaving Spiders (Araneae: Araneoidea). Systematic Biology. 401-411.
- 2019. Insekter - en million suksesshistorier.
- 2019. Drivers of large‐scale geographical variation in sexual systems of woody plants. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 546-557.
- 2019. Contrasting Biogeographic Patterns of Bacterial and Archaeal Diversity in the Top- and Subsoils of Temperate Grasslands. mSystems. 1-18.
- 2019. A consistent species richness–climate relationship for oaks across the Northern Hemisphere. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 1051-1066.
- 2018. The phylogeny of pholcid spiders: a critical evaluation of relationships suggested by molecular data (Araneae, Pholcidae). ZooKeys. 51-101.
- 2018. Phylogenomics, Diversification Dynamics, and Comparative Transcriptomics across the Spider Tree of Life. Current Biology. 1489-1497.
- 2018. Phylogenomics, Diversification Dynamics, and Comparative Transcriptomics across the Spider Tree of Life. Current Biology. 2190-2193.
- 2018. Microhabitat change drives diversification in pholcid spiders. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 1-13.
- 2018. Global patterns of Rhododendron diversity: The role of evolutionary time and diversification rates. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 913-924.
- 2018. Cryptic Species – More Than Terminological Chaos: A Reply to Heethoff. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. 310-312.
- 2017. The spider tree of life: phylogeny of Araneae based on target-gene analyses from an extensive taxon sampling. Cladistics. 574-616.
- 2017. The discovery of the spider genus Putaoa (Araneae, Pimoidae) in Taiwan with the description of a new species, including its web architecture. Zootaxa. 97-104.
- 2017. Rounding up the usual suspects: a standard target-gene approach for resolving the interfamilial phylogenetic relationships of ecribellate orb-weaving spiders with a new family-rank classification (Araneae, Araneoidea). Cladistics. 221-250.
- 2017. Finding Evolutionary Processes Hidden in Cryptic Species. 153-163.
- 2016. Multigene phylogenetic analysis redefines dung beetles relationships and classification (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae). BMC Evolutionary Biology.
- 2016. Colonization and diversification in the African ‘sky islands’: insights from fossil-calibrated molecular dating of Lychnis (Caryophyllaceae). New Phytologist. 719-734.
- 2016. Citizen science data reveal ecological, historical and evolutionary factors shaping interactions between woody hosts and wood-inhabiting fungi. New Phytologist. 1072-1082.
- 2016. A review and phylogeny of Scarabaeine dung beetle fossils (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae), with the description of two Canthochilum species from Dominican amber. PeerJ.
- 2015. Using NCBIminer to search and download nucleotide sequences from GenBank. Biodiversity Science. 550-555.
- 2015. NCBIminer: sequences harvest from Genbank. Ecography. 426-430.
- 2014. Slow genital and genetic but rapid non-genital and ecological differentiation in a pair of spider species (Araneae, Pholcidae). Zoologischer Anzeiger. 394-403.
- 2013. Response to Comment on "An Update of Wallace's Zoogeographic Regions of the World". Science. 343-343.