Molecular mechanisms of cell adehsion
The Gullberg laboratory has characterized the integrin α11β1, which is expressed on subsets of normal fibroblasts and on carcinoma-associated fibroblasts. Cells lacking α11β1 display disturbed cell-collagen interactions, altered metalloproteinase synthesis and reduced cell proliferation. Major projects within the group aim to further understand the role of this collagen receptor and other fibroblast integrins during health and in disease.
- 2019. Toward understanding scarless skin wound healing and pathological scarring [version 1; peer review: 2 approved]. F1000. 8:787: 1-11. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.18293.1
- 2019. α11β1 integrin is induced in a subset of cancer- associated fibroblasts in desmoplastic tumor stroma and mediates in vitro cell migration. Cancers. 11. doi: 10.3390/cancers11060765
- 2018. Selecting the correct cellular model for assessing of the biological response of collagen-based biomaterials. Acta Biomaterialia. 65: 88-101. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2017.10.035
- 2018. New developments on skin fibrosis - Essential signals emanating from the extracellular matrix for the control of myofibroblasts. Matrix Biology. 68-69: 522-532. doi: 10.1016/j.matbio.2018.01.025
- 2017. Overexpression of integrin α11 induces cardiac fibrosis in mice. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica. 222:e13025: 1-17. doi: 10.1111/apha.12932
- 2017. Role of the Extracellular Matrix in Tumor Stroma: Barrier or Support? 4, pages 77-112. In:
- 2017. Biomarkers of the Tumor Microenvironment: Basic Studies and Practical Applications. Springer. 534 pages. ISBN: 978-3-319-39145-8.
- 2016. Fundamental insight into the effect of carbodiimide crosslinking on cellular recognition of collagen-based scaffolds. Acta Biomaterialia. 49: 218-234. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.11.059
- 2016. Unique charge-dependent constraint on collagen recognition by integrin α10β1. Matrix Biology. 59: 80-94. doi: 10.1016/j.matbio.2016.08.010
1990 Phd Medical Chemistry, Uppsala University
1990-1992 Post Doc, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California Los Angeles
1993-2003 Researcher, Uppsala University
2004- today Professor, Department of Biomedicine, UoB