Molecular mechanisms of cell adehsion
The Gullberg laboratory has characterized the integrin α11β1, which is expressed on subsets of normal fibroblasts and on carcinoma-associated fibroblasts. Cells lacking α11β1 display disturbed cell-collagen interactions, altered metalloproteinase synthesis and reduced cell proliferation. Major projects within the group aim to further understand the role of this collagen receptor and other fibroblast integrins during health and in disease.
- 2019. α11β1 integrin is induced in a subset of cancer- associated fibroblasts in desmoplastic tumor stroma and mediates in vitro cell migration. Cancers.
- 2019. Toward understanding scarless skin wound healing and pathological scarring [version 1; peer review: 2 approved].
- 2019. Stromal integrin α11 regulates PDGFR-β signaling and promotes breast cancer progression. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 4609-4628.
- 2019. Integrin α11β1 is expressed in breast cancer stroma and associates with aggressive tumor phenotypes. The journal of pathology. Clinical research. 69-82.
- 2019. Integrin alpha 11 cytoplasmic tail is required for FAK activation to initiate 3D cell invasion and ERK-mediated cell proliferation. Scientific Reports. 1-12.
- 2019. Cancer-associated fibroblasts in desmoplastic tumors: emerging role of integrins. 1-16.
- 2018. Selecting the correct cellular model for assessing of the biological response of collagen-based biomaterials. Acta Biomaterialia. 88-101.
- 2018. New developments on skin fibrosis - Essential signals emanating from the extracellular matrix for the control of myofibroblasts. 522-532.
1990 Phd Medical Chemistry, Uppsala University
1990-1992 Post Doc, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California Los Angeles
1993-2003 Researcher, Uppsala University
2004- today Professor, Department of Biomedicine, UoB