My hydrothermal research group aims to understand how high temperature and pressure geologic fluids in the Earth's crust acquire their chemical compositions, specifically how they interact with Earth's lithosphere and biosphere. I work within the Department of Earth Science and the K.G. Jebsen Centre for Deep Sea Research (successor to the Centre for Geobiology), conducting research on topics that include:
● biogeochemical processes controlling the formation and evolution of seafloor hot spring fluids and their chemistry
● the chemistry of carbon compounds and carbon-sulfur interactions in hydrothermal settings and petroleum systems
● exploration and sampling of new hydrothermal systems in the deep ocean
● the organic geochemistry and biogeochemistry of hydrothermal chimney structures
● laboratory simulations (experiments) of hydrothermal fluids to develop and test hypotheses for natural systems
● developing techniques for novel dissolved organic analytes to expand our understanding of hydrothermal organic chemistry
As the Associate Professor in Aqueous Geochemistry, I'm a permanent faculty member here at the Department of Earth Science, University of Bergen since 2015, and also a long-term Guest Investigator at the Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI).
From 2013-2015, I was a Postdoctoral Associate in the Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences (EAPS) Department at MIT, in the lab group of Prof. Shuhei Ono. Prior to that, I was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the MARUM Center for Marine Environmental Sciences (University of Bremen, 2010-2013) and an MIT/WHOI Joint Program graduate student at WHOI (Ph.D. 2010). I did my M.Sc. in Geochemistry at the University of Leeds (2004) and my B.Sc. in Geological Oceanography (2002) at the School of Ocean Sciences, Bangor University, U.K.
Links to expeditions I've sailed on:
2020 AT42-22 ◆ R/V Atlantis/ROV Jason ◆ Mid-Cayman Rise (Von Damm, Piccard)
2019 HACON ◆ R/V Kronprins Haakon/ROV Neried Under Ice ◆ Aurora Vent Site, Gakkel Ridge
2019 GS19 ◆ R/V GO Sars/ROV Ægir ◆ AMOR: 73°N Vent Site, Loki's Castle
2018 GS18 ◆ R/V GO Sars/ROV Ægir ◆ AMOR: Seven Sisters, Jan Mayen, Ægir, Loki's Castle
2017 GS17 ◆ R/V GO Sars/ROV Ægir ◆ AMOR: Loki's Castle
2016 GS16B ◆ R/V GO Sars/ROV Ægir ◆ Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge (AMOR): Jan Mayen, Ægir
2016 M126 ◆ R/V Meteor/ROV Quest 4000m ◆ Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 12-15°N
2013 FK008 ◆ R/V Falkor/HROV Nereus ◆ Mid-Cayman Rise
2012 AT18-16 ◆ R/V Atlantis/ROV Jason II ◆ Mid-Cayman Rise
2011 SO-216 ◆ R/V Sonne/ROV Quest 4000m ◆ Manus Basin
2010 M82/3 ◆ R/V Meteor/ROV Quest 4000m ◆ Menez Gwen
2008 AT15-38 ◆ R/V Atlantis/HOV Alvin ◆ Guaymas/EPR (9-10°N)
2008 KNOX18RR ◆ R/V R. Revelle/ROV Jason II ◆ Mid-Atlantic Ridge
2006 MGLN06MV ◆ R/V Melville/ROV Jason II ◆ Manus Basin
2005 TUIM05MV ◆ R/V Melville/ROV Jason II ◆ Lau Basin
Deep Carbon Observatory:
DCO News highlights the Geochemical Society's Elements magazine special issue on: Abiotic Hydrogen and Hydrocarbons in Planetary Lithospheres
Deep Carbon Observatory:
UiB Centre for Geobiology:
Methanethiol in the Media:
- 2020. Tailoring hydrothermal vent biodiversity towards improved biodiscovery using a novel in-situ enrichment strategy. Frontiers in Microbiology.
- 2019. Geochemistry of Hot-Springs at the SuSu Knolls Hydrothermal Field, Eastern Manus Basin: Advanced Argillic Alteration and Vent Fluid Acidity. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 25-48.
- 2019. Application of B, Mg, Li, and Sr Isotopes in Acid‐Sulfate Vent Fluids and Volcanic Rocks as Tracers for Fluid‐Rock Interaction in Back‐Arc Hydrothermal Systems. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. 1-18.
- 2018. The influence of magmatic fluids and phase separation on B systematics in submarine hydrothermal vent fluids from back-arc basins. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 140-162.
- 2018. Genome analysis of Vallitalea guaymasensis strain L81 isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent system. Microorganisms.
- 2018. Clumped isotopologue constraints on the origin of methane at seafloor hot springs. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 141-158.
- 2016. Heterotrophic Proteobacteria in the vicinity of diffuse hydrothermal venting. Environmental Microbiology. 4348-4368.
- 2016. Arsenic bioaccumulation and biotransformation in deep-sea hydrothermal vent organisms from the PACMANUS hydrothermal field, Manus Basin, PNG. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers. 95-106.
- 2015. Temporal evolution of magmatic-hydrothermal systems in the Manus Basin, Papua New Guinea: Insights from vent fluid chemistry and bathymetric observations, Abstract OS42A-05 .
- 2015. Controls on the Formation and Composition of Seafloor Hot Springs: Implications for polymetallic sulfide deposits, extreme life, and astrobiology.
- 2016. New opportunities for mid-ocean ridge research in the Arctic.
- 2016. INVITED: Exploring organic diversity and origins in seafloor hot springs: a synthesis of recent discoveries.
- 2019. Identification of key-players in anaerobic alkane oxidation in the diffuse venting Barite Field at the Loki´s castle.
 Reeves, E.P. & J. Fiebig (2020) Abiotic synthesis of methane and organic compounds in Earth’s lithosphere. Elements, 16(1) pp25-31. DOI: 10.2138/gselements.16.1.25 (see issue: Abiotic hydrogen and hydrocarbons in planetary lithospheres. Editors: L. Truche, T. McCollom, I. Martinez)
 Stokke, R., E.P. Reeves, H. Dahle, A. Fedoy, T. Viflot, S. Onstad, F. Vulcano, R. Pedersen, V.G.H. Eijsink, I.H. Steen (2020) Tailoring hydrothermal vent biodiversity towards improved biodiscovery using a novel in-situ enrichment strategy. Frontiers in Microbiology, 11, 249. DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.00249
 Wilckens, F., E.P. Reeves, W. Bach, J. Seewald, S.A. Kasemann (2019) Application of B, Mg, Li and Sr isotopes in acid‐sulfate vent fluids and volcanic rocks as tracers for fluid‐rock interaction in back‐arc hydrothermal systems. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 20. DOI: 10.1029/2019GC008694
 Seewald, J.S., E.P. Reeves, W. Bach, P.J. Saccocia, P.R. Craddock, E. Walsh, W.C. Shanks III, S.P. Sylva, T. Pichler, M. Rosner (2019) Geochemistry of Hot-Springs at the SuSu Knolls Hydrothermal Field, Eastern Manus Basin: Advanced Argillic Alteration and Vent Fluid Acidity. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 255, pp25-48. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2019.03.034
 Schouw, A., F. Vulcano, I. Roalkvam, W.P. Hocking, E. Reeves, R. Stokke, G. Bødtker, I.H. Steen (2018) Genome Analysis of Vallitalea guaymasensis Strain L81 Isolated from a Deep-Sea Hydrothermal Vent System. Microorganisms, 6(3), 63. DOI: 10.3390/microorganisms6030063
 Wilckens, F.K., E.P. Reeves, W. Bach, A. Meixner, J.S. Seewald, A. Koschinsky, S.A. Kasemann (2018) The influence of magmatic fluids and phase separation on B systematics in submarine hydrothermal vent fluids from back-arc basins. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 232, pp140–162. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2018.04.023
 Wang, D.T., E.P. Reeves, J.M. McDermott, J.S. Seewald, and S. Ono (2018) Clumped isotopologue constraints on the origin of methane at seafloor hot springs. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 223, pp141–158. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2017.11.030
 Bach, W. & E.P. Reeves (2016) Hydrothermal Vents. In: W.M. White (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Geochemistry: A Comprehensive Reference Source on the Chemistry of the Earth. Springer International. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-39193-9_110-1
 Price, R., C. Breuer, E.P. Reeves, W. Bach, T. Pichler (2016) Arsenic bioaccumulation and biotransformation in deep-sea hydrothermal vent organisms from the PACMANUS hydrothermal field, Manus Basin, PNG (cover article). Deep-Sea Research I: Oceanographic Research Papers, 117, pp95-106. DOI: 10.1016/j.dsr.2016.08.012
 Meier, D., W. Bach, P.R. Girguis, H. Gruber-Vodicka, E.P. Reeves, M. Richter, C. Vidoudez, R. Amann, A. Meyerdierks (2016) Heterotrophic Proteobacteria in the vicinity of diffuse hydrothermal venting. Environmental Microbiology, 18, pp4348-4368. DOI: 10.1111/1462-2920.13304
 Seewald, J.S., E.P. Reeves, W. Bach, P. Saccocia, P. Craddock, W.C. Shanks III, S. Sylva, T. Pichler, M. Rosner, E. Walsh (2015) Submarine venting of magmatic volatiles in the Eastern Manus Basin, Papua New Guinea, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 163, pp178–199. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2015.04.023
 Wang, D.T., D.S. Gruen, B. Sherwood Lollar, K.-U. Hinrichs, L.C. Stewart, J.F. Holden, A.N. Hristov, J.W. Pohlman, P.L. Morrill, M. Könneke, K.B. Delwiche, E.P. Reeves, C.N. Sutcliffe, D.J. Ritter, J.S. Seewald, J.C. McIntosh, H.F. Hemond, M.D. Kubo, D. Cardace, T.M. Hoehler, S. Ono (2015) Nonequilibrium clumped isotope signals in microbial methane. Science, 348(6233), pp428-431. DOI: 10.1126/science.aaa4326 (See Perspective by Passey)
 Reeves, E.P.‡, M. Yoshinaga‡, P. Pjevac‡, N. Goldenstein, J. Peplies, A. Meierdierks, R. Amann, W. Bach, K.-U. Hinrichs (2014) Microbial lipids reveal diverse carbon flow patterns on hydrothermal sulfide structures. Environmental Microbiology, 16(11), pp3515-3532. DOI: 10.1111/1462-2920.12525 (‡equal contribution)
 Reeves, E.P., J.M. McDermott, J.S. Seewald (2014) The origin of methanethiol in midocean ridge hydrothermal fluids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(15), pp5474–5479. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1400643111
 Lang, S.Q., G.L. Früh-Green, D.S. Kelley, M.D. Lilley, G. Proskurowski, E.P. Reeves (2012) Online Letter: H2/CH4 ratios cannot reliably distinguish abiotic vs. biotic methane in natural hydrothermal systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109(47), E3210. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.121313810
 Pester, N.J., E.P. Reeves, M.E. Rough, K. Ding, J.S. Seewald, W.E. Seyfried Jr. (2012) Subseafloor phase equilibria in high-temperature hydrothermal fluids of the Lucky Strike Seamount (Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 37°17'N). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 90, pp303–322. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2012.05.018
 Reeves, E.P., J.S. Seewald, S. Sylva (2012) Hydrogen isotope exchange between n-alkanes and water under hydrothermal conditions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 77, pp582–599. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2011.10.008
 Reeves, E.P., J.S. Seewald, P. Saccocia, W. Bach, P.R. Craddock, W.C. Shanks, S.P. Sylva, E. Walsh, T. Pichler, M. Rosner (2011) Geochemistry of hydrothermal fluids from the PACMANUS, Northeast Pual and Vienna Woods hydrothermal fields, Manus Basin, Papua New Guinea. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 75, pp1088–1123. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2010.11.008
 Newton, R.J., E.P. Reeves, N. Kafousia, P.B. Wignall, S.H. Bottrell, J.G. Sha (2011) Low marine sulfate concentrations and the isolation of the European epicontinental sea during the Early Jurassic. Geology, 39, pp7–10. DOI: 10.1130/G31326.1
 Mottl, M.J., J.S. Seewald, C.G. Wheat, M.K. Tivey, P.J. Michael, G. Proskurowski, T.M. McCollom, E. Reeves, J. Sharkey, C.F. You, L.H. Chan, T. Pichler (2011) Chemistry of hot springs along the Eastern Lau Spreading Center. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 75, pp1013–1038. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2010.12.008
 Craddock, P.R., W. Bach, J.S. Seewald, O.J. Rouxel, E. Reeves, M.K. Tivey (2010) Rare earth element abundances in hydrothermal fluids from the Manus Basin, Papua New Guinea: Indicators of sub-seafloor hydrothermal processes in back-arc basins. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 74, pp5494–5513. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2010.07.003
 Wignall, P.B., A. Hallam, R.J. Newton, J.G. Sha, E. Reeves, E. Mattioli, S. Crowley (2006) An eastern Tethyan (Tibetan) record of the Early Jurassic (Toarcian) mass extinction event. Geobiology, 4, pp179–190. DOI: 10.1111/j.1472-4669.2006.00081.x
CURRENT GROUP MEMBERS:
- Samuel Pereira (Ph.D., 2020-2023): The high-temperature fate of the hydrothermal deep biosphere (NFR FRINATEK HyPOD)
- Thomas Ø. Viflot (Ph.D., 2019-2023): Experimental investigations of diverse organic production pathways in hydrothermal systems (NFR FRINATEK HyPOD)
- Chanakan Boonnawa (M.Sc. & Ph.D., 2019-2024): Geochemistry of novel vent fluids from the newly discovered 72.7°N (Fåvne) hydrothermal system on the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge (graduate fellowship, Thai Ministry of Science & Technology)
- Apolline Samin (Ph.D. UiB, 2020-2023): Investigating Cu isotope fractionation as a tracer for seafloor mineral deposit formation using hydrothermal experiments (with Desiree Roerdink)
- Francesca Vulcano (Ph.D. UiB, 2018-2022): Anaerobic alkane oxidation at the Loki's Castle Barite Field: microbial physiology at the foundation of hydrocarbon cycling (with Ida H. Steen)
- Johannes Scheffler (M.Sc., Uni. Leipzig)
- Rasmus Rikter-Svendsen (M.Sc. UiB, 2019-2021): Distribution of thermochemical output and associated ecosystems at the Loki's Castle Hydrothermal Field (with Thibaut Barreyre)
- Ingvild Aarrestad (M.Sc. UiB, 2018-2020): Tracing contamination from historical mining sites in Norway with Cu isotopes (with Desiree Roerdink)
- Thomas Ø. Viflot (M.Sc. UiB, 2017-2019): Geochemistry and geobiology of low-temperature fluid formation in Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge hydrothermal systems (see talk at Goldschmidt 2019, Barcelona)
- Johannes Scheffler (Erasmus+ Intern, 2018-2019, M.Sc. Uni. Leipzig): Trace metal abundances in back-arc, Atlantic and Arctic mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal fluids / GS19 cruise
- Eva-Maria Meckel (Erasmus+ Intern, 2019, M.Sc. Uni. Oldenburg): Quantification of methanol in hydrothermal fluid matrices / GS19, HACON cruises
My group and I currently operate a wide array of organic and inorganic analytical instruments (packed and capillary column gas chromatographs, GC-mass spectrometry, ion-selective electrodes) in the UiB BioGeochemistry Laboratory, in addition to analytical and precision balances (Mettler Toledo). I also operate and maintain four WHOI-style Isobaric Gas-Tight hydrothermal fluid samplers as part of the Centre, and have constructed three custom Dickson-type flexible-cell high temperature-pressure reactors for hydrothermal experiments. Please email me for further information about analyses, experimentation, hydrothermal fluid sampling and collaboration.
Purge-and-trap gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (P&T-GC/MS-FID):
Installed 2017, a GC/FID-MS (Agilent 7890B GC-FID / 5977B Series MSD) with 7693A Automatic Liquid Sampler (solvent-based samples), Cool On-Column (COC) and Multimode (MMI) Inlets, with connection to a Teledyne Tekmar Lumin Purge-and-Trap Concentrator and AQUATek 100 Autosampler (Volatile Organic Analysis, VOA).
Purge-and-trap gas chromatography with S-specific detection (P&T-GC-TCD-FID-SCD):
Installed 2017, an Agilent 7890A GC with a TCD-FID and tandem Agilent 8355 Sulfur Chemiluminescence Detector
Advanced Ion Chromatography (HPIC with CD and ED)
Installed 2019, a Dionex ICS-6000 Dual Channel Capillary "reagent-free" IC System, with one channel dedicated to anion analysis (Cl, SO4, Br, F, with conductivity detection) and one channel dedicated to organic compounds, such as low-molecular weight carboxylic acids (electrochemical detection)
Research Council of Norway, FRINATEK Researcher Project HyPOD (Leader/PI)
U.S. National Science Foundation OCE-MG&G (International Collaborator)
Research Council of Norway, FRINATEK Researcher Project HACON (Partner)