My R&D field is related to the dynamic of offshore structures. The last few years in particular offshore wind turbines. Has headed the R&D project where the floating offshore wind turbine Hywind was developed.
Seminar in "geophysics of renewable energy" and "offshore wind". Autumn semester
PhD seminar in offshore wind for NORCOWE students
- 2018. Load Estimation of offshore Wind Turbines. Energies. 11. doi: 10.3390/en11071895
- 2017. Vi kan nå klimamålene ved bruk av havvind. Bergens Tidende. 27-27. Published 2017-01-22.
- 2015. Coalescing Wind Turbine Wakes. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. 625:012023. doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/625/1/012023
- 2014. Cascade Analysis of a Floating Wind Turbine Rotor. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. 555. doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/555/1/012053
- 2012. The Norwegian Centre for Offshore Wind Energy (NORCOWE). OCEANS. MTS/IEEE - YEOSU: 1-5. doi: 10.1109/OCEANS-Yeosu.2012.6263517
- 2004. Seasonal Modeling of MMultivariate Distributions of Metocean Parameters With Application to Marine Operations. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering.
- 2004. Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations - Experimental results (Reprinted with permission from J. Oceanic Engineering, vol 29, pg 720-728). Modeling, Identification and Control. 25: 29-44.
- 2003. Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations - Experimental results. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. 28: 720-728.
- 2003. Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations - experimental results. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. 29: 720-728.
- 2000. Extreme loads in taut mooring lines and mooring induced famping : an aymptotic approach. Applied Ocean Research. 22: 103-118.
- 1999. An examination of polyester fiber taut leg mooring systems for deepwater. Offshore : The Journal of Ocean Business. 59: 102-106.
- 1999. Participating mass in colliding risers. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. 4: S. 58-67.
- 1999. Mooring line tension observed through a maximum entropy spectrum. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. 4: S. 68-75.
- 2000. SIN1546 MARINE OPERASJONER. Institutt for marin hydrodynamikk, NTNU - Institutt for marin hydrodynamikk. 270 pages.
- 1997. Lecture notes in marine operations. NTNU. Dept. of Marine Hydrodynamics. 203 pages.
- 2009. Characterization of Measured VIV for Free Spanning Pipelines. OMAE2009-79561, pages . In:
- 2009. Proceedings of the ASME 28th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - OMAE2009. ISBN: 9780791838440.
Publications 2005 -
Nielsen, F.G.: “Some Hydrodynamic Issues Related to Offshore Wind Turbines.”, 20th International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies. (IWWWFB). The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS), Longyearbyen, 19 May – 1 June 2005.
Ilstad,T., Søreide, T. and Nielsen, F.G.: “Fatigue calculations of multi-mode VIV”. Paper 2005-67540, OMAE2005, Halkidiki, Greece, June 2005.
Herfjord, K., Nielsen, F.G. and Meisingset, H.C.:” CFD approach to dynamics of long and slender bodies exposed to ocean current”, EURODYN 2005, Paris. In EURODYN 2005, C.Soize & G.I. Schueller (eds) Millpress, Rotterdam, 2005.
Søreide, T. Ilstad, T., Paulsen, G. and Nielsen, F.G.: “Design implementation of multi-span VIV tests”. EURODYN 2005, Paris. In EURODYN 2005, C.Soize & G.I. Schueller (eds) Millpress, Rotterdam, 2005.
Nielsen, F.G. and Søreide, T.: “Dynamic response of pipeline in long free spans or multi-spans”. EURODYN 2005, Paris. In EURODYN 2005, C.Soize & G.I. Schueller (eds) Millpress, Rotterdam, 2005.
Nielsen, F.G, Hanson, T.D. and Skaare, B.: “Integrated dynamic analysis of floating offshore wind turbines” European Wind Energy Conference & Exhibition, Athens, Greece, 28 February – 2 March 2006.
Nielsen, F.G., Hanson, T., and Skaare, B. “Integrated Dynamic Analysis of Floating Offshore Wind Turbines”, OMAE 2006, Hamburg, Germany, June 2006.
Sandvik, P. Chr. , Solaas, F. and Nielsen, F.G.: “ Hydrodynamic Forces on Ventilated Structures”. The sixteenth (2006) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, ISOPE 2006, San Francisco, USA, 28 May – 2 June 2006.
Nielsen, F.G, Andersen, M., Argyriadis, K., Butterfield, S., Fonseca, N., Kuroiwa, T., Le Boulluec, M., Liao, S-J., Turnock, S.R., Waegter, J. Ocean wind and wave energy utilization, Report from Specialist committee V.4 to the 2006 ISSC, 16th ISSC, Vol 1, Southhampton, Aug. 2006.
Skaare,B. Hanson, T.D. and Nielsen, F.G. “Importance of control strategies on fatigue life of floating wind turbines”. Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, OMAE2007. June 10-15, 2007, San Diego, California, USA
Skaare, B., Hansen, A.M., Hanson, T.D., Larsen, T. J., Nielsen, F.G., Thomsen, K., Yttervik, R. ”Dynamics of Floating Wind Turbines Utilising Integrated Hydro- and Aerodynamic Analysis”, EWEC 2007, Milano, Italy, May 2007.
Marthinsen, T., Nielsen, F.G., Søreide, T., Fyrileiv, O. Mørk, K., Lie, H. “Breaking Pipeline Frontiers on Uneven Seabed – the Ormen Lange Experience Deep Offshore Technology”, DOT2007, Stavanger, 2007.
Skaare, B. Nielsen, F.G. and Hanson, T.D. “Wave Energy Extraction from the Hywind Flaoting Wind Turbine Concept.”. OWEMES Brindisi, Italy, 2009
Hanson, T.D, Skaare, B. Yttervik, R., Nielsen, F.G. and Havmøller, O. “Comparison of measured and simulated responses at the first full scale floating wind turbine Hywind“ EWEA; Brussel 2011.
Skaare, B. ,Hanson, T.D, Yttervik, R. and Nielsen, F.G. “Dynamic Response and Control of the Hywind Demo Floating Wind Turbine” EWEA; Brussel 2011.
Prof II at Geophysical Institute UiB 2009 - . Teaching "ocean energy" (wave, tidal and wind)
30+ years experience from industrial R&D within marine hydrodynamics and structures (SINTEF, Norsk Hydro and Statoil).
Prof. II in marine technology / marine operations at NTNU 1988 - 2009.
Dr. ing. (PhD) in marine Hydrodynamics from NTNU (1980).