Finn Gunnar Nielsen’s research has been focused on the interaction between the ocean (wind, current and waves) and marine structures. In recent time he has in particular worked with the dynamics of offshore wind turbines. I his previous position he headed the research project developing the world’s first full scale floating wind turbine. For this work he in 2018 was awarded the price of honor from the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences – NTVA.
Finn Gunnar Nielsen is active giving professional and popular presentations about offshore wind energy and renewable energy in general
Finn Gunnar Nielsen has headed the program board for the master education in energy at UiB. He has lectured basic energy topics as well as in special seminars on offshore wind energy.
Previously he developed and lectured a course in marine operations at NTNU. A special compendium was developed for this course.
- (2022). Sensitivity of the dynamic response of a multimegawatt floating wind turbine to the choice of turbulence model. Wind Energy.
- (2022). Development of an automatic thresholding method for wake meandering studies and its application to the data set from scanning wind lidar. Wind Energy Science.
- (2021). Quasi-static response of a bottom-fixed wind turbine subject to various incident wind fields. Wind Energy. 1482-1500.
- (2021). Analysis of turbulence models fitted to site, and their impact on the response of a bottom-fixed wind turbine. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). 12 pages.
- (2020). The dynamic response of offshore wind turbines and their sensitivity to wind field models. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS).
- (2020). On Stochastic Reduced-Order and LES-based ModelsofOffshore Wind Turbine Wakes. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS).
- (2020). Evaluation of different wind fields for the investigation of the dynamic response of offshore wind turbines. Wind Energy. 1810-1830.
- (2020). Evaluation of Gaussian wake models under different atmospheric stability conditions: Comparison with large eddy simulation results. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS).
- (2019). Processing of sonic anemometer measurements for offshore wind turbine applications. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS).
- (2018). Load Estimation of offshore Wind Turbines. Energies.
- (2015). Coalescing Wind Turbine Wakes. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS).
- (2014). Cascade Analysis of a Floating Wind Turbine Rotor. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS).
- (2012). The Norwegian Centre for Offshore Wind Energy (NORCOWE). OCEANS. 1-5.
- (2004). Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations - Experimental results (Reprinted with permission from J. Oceanic Engineering, vol 29, pg 720-728). Modeling, Identification and Control. 29-44.
- (2004). Seasonal Modeling of MMultivariate Distributions of Metocean Parameters With Application to Marine Operations. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering.
- (2003). Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations - experimental results. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. 720-728.
- (2003). Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations - Experimental results. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. 720-728.
- (2000). Extreme loads in taut mooring lines and mooring induced famping : an aymptotic approach. Applied Ocean Research. 103-118.
- (1999). Participating mass in colliding risers. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. S. 58-67.
- (1999). Mooring line tension observed through a maximum entropy spectrum. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. S. 68-75.
- (1999). An examination of polyester fiber taut leg mooring systems for deepwater. Offshore : The Journal of Ocean Business. 102-106.
- (1979). On the Influence of the Propeller Race on Large, Towed Structures. Proceedings - Offshore Technology Conference.
- (2019). The Ocean as a Solution for Climate Change: Five Opportunities for Action. World Resources Institute. .
- (2020). offshore Wind. Grasping the opportunities and solving the challenges.
- (2020). What Role for Ocean-Based Renewable energy and Deep-Seabed Minerals in a Sustainable Future?
- (2020). Vindkraft i Vinden.
- (2020). Utslipp, energi og havvind.
- (2020). Utslipp, energi og havvind.
- (2020). Havvind - Europeiske ambisjoner og norske muligheter.
- (2020). An overview of R&D and innovation activities in Norway.
- (2019). The COTUR campaign - measuring offshore turbulence and coherence with lidars.
- (2019). The COTUR campaign - measuring offshore turbulence and coherence With lidars.
- (2019). Offshore wind and crossover technologies.
- (2019). Kan havvind bidra til at Norge når klimamålene?
- (2019). Havvind ved UiB - Bergen Offshore Wind Centre (BOW).
- (2019). Havvind - en ny industriell mulighet for Norge.
- (2019). Havvind - En ny industriell mulighet for Norge.
- (2019). Havind ved UiB.
- (2019). COTUR - Estimating coherence and turbulence with LIDARs.
- (2016). Summary and highlights from NORCOWE. Introduction, or: How was the key challenges addressed?
- (2020). What role for Ocean-Based Renewable Energy and Deep-Seabed Minerals in a Sustainable Future?
- (2020). Vindkraft på land og til havs.
- (2020). Norsk havvind, stort potensial - ingen plan?
- (1997). Noen marintekniske utfordringer knyttet til store havdyp : eksempler på FoU innsats for å løse disse.
- (2020). On the Stochastic Reduced-Order and LES-based Models of Offshore Wind Turbine Wake.
- (2019). Processing of sonic anemometer measurements for offshore wind turbine applications .
- (2019). Havvind - kan vi kombinere klimaforpliktelser og ny næringsvirksomhet.
- (2002). Wave synchronizing crane control during water entry in offshore moonpool operations.
- (2002). VIV Response of Long Free Spanningf Pipelines.
- (2002). Seasonal modelling of multivariate distributions of metocean paramters.
- (2002). Coupling between In-line and Transverse VIV Response.
- (2002). Coupled Fluid Structure Interaction Simulation of Vortex Induced Vibration of a Submerged Pipeline.
- (2002). An Efficient Finite Element for the Study of Drag Chains for a Floating Pipeline.
- (2001). Nonlinear Wave-Structure Interactions on Floating Production Systems.
- (2001). Development of a deep water gas field on the North Atlantic margin. Challengers related to a pipeline on a rough and steep seabed.
- (2001). Development and Technological Challenges for a Deepwater Gas Field in Harsh Environment on the North Atlantic Margin.
- (2000). Submerged floating pipeline in deep water.
- (1999). VIV-induced Vibrations in Deep Sea Risers.
- (1999). Riser colloision : assessment of impact energy.
- (1999). Alternative configurations and materials for deep water mooring : results from a three year research effort.
- (1999). Alternative configurations and materials for deep water mooring : re- sults from a three year joint research effort.
- (1998). Large scale model testing of deeps sea risers.
- (1997). Slow-drift responses of moored platforms.
- (1997). Model testing of the slow-drift motion of a moored semisubmersible in multidirectional waves.
- (1997). Model testing of deepwater floating production systems.
- (1980). Loads and Motion Responses of Offshore Oil Booms in Waves.
- (2022). Perspectives and Challenges Related Offshore Wind Turbines in Deep Water. Energies.
- (2019). Betre kunnskap er avgjerande for havvindindustrien. Dagens næringsliv.
- (2000). SIN1546 MARINE OPERASJONER.
- (1997). Lecture notes in marine operations.
- (2017). Vi kan nå klimamålene ved bruk av havvind. Bergens Tidende. 27-27.
- (2019). Vindkraft kan gi klimatap.
- (2016). Vindkraft er i ferd med å vokse ut av huset.
- (2016). Norsk havvind drukner i billig vannkraft.
- (2009). Characterization of Measured VIV for Free Spanning Pipelines. 10 pages.
- (2021). A study of nested simulations in PALM LES in application to the wind turbines.
- (2020). The COTUR project: Remote sensing of offshore turbulence for wind energy application.
- (2020). Evaluation of Gaussian wake models.
- (2018). Sensitivity analysis of the response of a floating wind turbine.
- (2012). Cascade Analysis of a Floating Wind Turbine Rotor.
Publications 2005 -
Nielsen, F.G.: “Some Hydrodynamic Issues Related to Offshore Wind Turbines.”, 20th International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies. (IWWWFB). The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS), Longyearbyen, 19 May – 1 June 2005.
Ilstad,T., Søreide, T. and Nielsen, F.G.: “Fatigue calculations of multi-mode VIV”. Paper 2005-67540, OMAE2005, Halkidiki, Greece, June 2005.
Herfjord, K., Nielsen, F.G. and Meisingset, H.C.:” CFD approach to dynamics of long and slender bodies exposed to ocean current”, EURODYN 2005, Paris. In EURODYN 2005, C.Soize & G.I. Schueller (eds) Millpress, Rotterdam, 2005.
Søreide, T. Ilstad, T., Paulsen, G. and Nielsen, F.G.: “Design implementation of multi-span VIV tests”. EURODYN 2005, Paris. In EURODYN 2005, C.Soize & G.I. Schueller (eds) Millpress, Rotterdam, 2005.
Nielsen, F.G. and Søreide, T.: “Dynamic response of pipeline in long free spans or multi-spans”. EURODYN 2005, Paris. In EURODYN 2005, C.Soize & G.I. Schueller (eds) Millpress, Rotterdam, 2005.
Nielsen, F.G, Hanson, T.D. and Skaare, B.: “Integrated dynamic analysis of floating offshore wind turbines” European Wind Energy Conference & Exhibition, Athens, Greece, 28 February – 2 March 2006.
Nielsen, F.G., Hanson, T., and Skaare, B. “Integrated Dynamic Analysis of Floating Offshore Wind Turbines”, OMAE 2006, Hamburg, Germany, June 2006.
Sandvik, P. Chr. , Solaas, F. and Nielsen, F.G.: “ Hydrodynamic Forces on Ventilated Structures”. The sixteenth (2006) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, ISOPE 2006, San Francisco, USA, 28 May – 2 June 2006.
Nielsen, F.G, Andersen, M., Argyriadis, K., Butterfield, S., Fonseca, N., Kuroiwa, T., Le Boulluec, M., Liao, S-J., Turnock, S.R., Waegter, J. Ocean wind and wave energy utilization, Report from Specialist committee V.4 to the 2006 ISSC, 16th ISSC, Vol 1, Southhampton, Aug. 2006.
Skaare,B. Hanson, T.D. and Nielsen, F.G. “Importance of control strategies on fatigue life of floating wind turbines”. Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, OMAE2007. June 10-15, 2007, San Diego, California, USA
Skaare, B., Hansen, A.M., Hanson, T.D., Larsen, T. J., Nielsen, F.G., Thomsen, K., Yttervik, R. ”Dynamics of Floating Wind Turbines Utilising Integrated Hydro- and Aerodynamic Analysis”, EWEC 2007, Milano, Italy, May 2007.
Marthinsen, T., Nielsen, F.G., Søreide, T., Fyrileiv, O. Mørk, K., Lie, H. “Breaking Pipeline Frontiers on Uneven Seabed – the Ormen Lange Experience Deep Offshore Technology”, DOT2007, Stavanger, 2007.
Skaare, B. Nielsen, F.G. and Hanson, T.D. “Wave Energy Extraction from the Hywind Flaoting Wind Turbine Concept.”. OWEMES Brindisi, Italy, 2009
Hanson, T.D, Skaare, B. Yttervik, R., Nielsen, F.G. and Havmøller, O. “Comparison of measured and simulated responses at the first full scale floating wind turbine Hywind“ EWEA; Brussel 2011.
Skaare, B. ,Hanson, T.D, Yttervik, R. and Nielsen, F.G. “Dynamic Response and Control of the Hywind Demo Floating Wind Turbine” EWEA; Brussel 2011.
Prof II at Geophysical Institute UiB 2009 - . Teaching "ocean energy" (wave, tidal and wind)
30+ years experience from industrial R&D within marine hydrodynamics and structures (SINTEF, Norsk Hydro and Statoil).
Prof. II in marine technology / marine operations at NTNU 1988 - 2009.
Dr. ing. (PhD) in marine Hydrodynamics from NTNU (1980).