Research management and advice:
Expert evaluator for EU proposals
Pre-award research support
Develop and improve research management processes and routines
Vocational education and training for fellow research advisers
Vocational education and training for early career scientists
Archive and analysis of research management data
Workshop Writing successful project proposals (for PhD and Post Doc, annually in November, since 2015)
Proposal Writing Class (for Post Doc and PhD, annually in spring term, since 2018)
GEOF-301, module on pitch preparation (for Master students, annually in autumn term, since 2020)
Workshop Proposal Evaluation (on demand)
Course Project Management (on demand)
BIO-318 (until autumn 2014)
GEOVI-344 (until spring 2012)
- (2020). Deep-sea sponge grounds as nutrient sinks: Denitrification is common in boreo-Arctic sponges. Biogeosciences. 1231-1245.
- (2018). Impact of particulate sediment, bentonite and barite (oil-drilling waste) on net fluxes of oxygen and nitrogen in Arctic-boreal sponges. Environmental Pollution (1987). 948-958.
- (2016). Ultraviolet radiation as a ballast water treatment strategy: Inactivation of phytoplankton measured with flow cytometry. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 270-275.
- (2016). The relative abundance and transcriptional activity of marine sponge-associated microorganisms emphasizing groups involved in sulfur cycle. Microbial Ecology. 668-676.
- (2016). Dual staining with CFDA-AM and SYTOX Blue in flow cytometry analysis of UV-irradiated Tetraselmis suecica to evaluate vitality . Aquatic Biology. 39-52.
- (2014). Developmental gene expression provides clues to relationships between sponge and eumetazoan body plans. Nature Communications. 15 pages.
- (2013). Relationships between host phylogeny, host type and bacterial community diversity in cold-water coral reef sponges. PLOS ONE.
- (2012). Spatial scales of bacterial diversity in cold-water coral reef ecosystems. PLOS ONE.
- (2012). Ammonia-oxidizing archaea as main drivers of nitrification in cold-water sponges. Environmental Microbiology. 909-923.
- (2010). Heterogeneous oxygenation resulting from active and passive flow in two Mediterranean sponges, Dysidea avara and Chondrosia reniformis. Limnology and Oceanography. 1289-1300.
- (2010). Evidence for nitrification and denitrification in high and low microbial abundance sponges. Marine Biology. 593-602.
- (2009). Inter- and intra-habitat bacterial diversity associated with cold-water corals. The ISME Journal. 756-759.
- (2009). Complex nitrogen cycling in the sponge Geodia barretti. Environmental Microbiology. 2228-2243.
- (2013). Organisation of, introduction to, and moderation of side event: Side event: Shaping tomorrow's carbon cycle research: Knowledge gaps, international collaboration, and funding priorities.
- (2013). Shaping tomorrow’s carbon cycle research.
- (2012). Successful Marie Curie Proposals - the role of research administration and management.
- (2012). Micromonitor: A novel tool for biological monitoring of CO2 leakage from sub-seafloor storage sites.
- (2012). BallastFlow - Fra idé til prosjekt med help fra TeknoVest.
- (2013). Geomicrobial descriptions of an abandoned well and a seafloor fracture (Hugin Fracture) in the North Sea.
- (2016). Flow cytometry detection of phytoplankton in UV disinfected water. Implications for ballast water treatment and analysis.
- (2011). Sponges (Porifera) and Sponge Microbes. 8 pages.
- (2014). Potential environmental impacts of CO2 leakage from sub-seafloor CO2 Storage sites.
- (2013). Potential environmental impacts of CO2 leakage from sub-seafloor CO2 storage sites.
- (2013). Microbial and geochemical characterization of the Hugin fracture and an abandoned well in the Sleipner field.
- (2013). CARBOCHANGE - Changes in Carbon uptake and emissions by oceans in a changing climate.
- (2012). Effects of CO2 leakage on seafloor life over a CO2 storage site, -a laboratory model.
- (2012). Changes in carbon uptake and emissions by oceans in a changing climate - CARBOCHANGE.
- (2011). CARBOCHANGE - changes in carbon uptake and emissions by oceans in a changing climate. Large-scale integrating collaborative project, March 2011-February 2015.
- (2011). CARBOCHANGE - changes in carbon uptake and emissions by oceans in a changing climate.
- (2013). EU funded research on the Carbon Cycle.
- (2013). CARBOCHANGE - Changes in carbon uptake and emissions by oceans in a changing climate. Project information flyer, 2nd edition.
- (2012). CARBOCHANGE - Changes in carbon uptake and emissions by oceans in a changing climate. Project information flyer. EU FP7 Collaborative project, Large-Scale Integrating Project.
- (2021). “From idea to project: Writing successful project proposals” workshop report.
Publications before 2009 (not in CRISTIN)
Hoffmann F, Røy H, Bayer K, Hentschel U, Pfannkuchen M, Brümmer F, Beer Dd (2008) Oxygen dynamics and transport in the Mediterranean sponge Aplysina aerophoba. Marine Biology 153: 1257-1264
Wild C, Mayr C, Wehrmann L, Schöttner S, Naumann M, Hoffmann F, Rapp HT (2008) Organic matter release by cold-water corals and its implication for fauna-microbe interaction. Marine Ecology Progress Series 372: 67-75
Hoffmann F, Sauter E, Sachs O, Røy H, Klages M (2007) Oxygen distribution in Tentorium semisuberites and in its habitat in the Arctic deep sea. In: Custódio M, Lôbo-Hajdu G, Hajdu E, Muricy G (eds) Porifera Research: Biodiversity, Innovation, Sustainability. Série Livros. Museu Nacional, Rio de Janeiro: 379-382
Spetland F, Rapp HT, Hoffmann F, Tendal OS (2007) The reproductive cycle of Geodia barretti (Bowerbank, 1888)(Porifera, Astrophorida) in two Scandinavian fjords. In: Custódio M, Lôbo-Hajdu G, Hajdu E, Muricy G (eds) Porifera Research: Biodiversity, Innovation, Sustainability. Série Livros. Museu Nacional, Rio de Janeiro:613-620
Schläppy M-L, Hoffmann F, Røy H, Wijffels RH, Mendola D, Sidri M, Beer Dd (2007) Oxygen dynamics and flow patterns of Dysidea avara (Porifera, Demospongiae). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. 86: 1677-1682
Hoffmann F, Rapp HT, Reitner J (2006) Monitoring microbial community composition by fluorescence in situ hybridisation during cultivation of the marine cold-water sponge Geodia barretti. Marine Biotechnology 8: 373-379
Ianora A, Boersma M, Casotti R, Fontana A, Harder J, Hoffmann F, Pavia H, Poulet SA, Toth G (2006) New trends in marine chemical ecology. Estuaries and Coasts 29: 531-551
Pape T, Hoffmann F, Queric N-V, Juterzenka Kv, Reitner J, Michaelis W (2006) Dense populations of Archaea associated with the hadromerid demosponge Tentorium semisuberites from Arctic deep waters. Polar Biology 29: 662-667
Hoffmann F, Larsen O, Rapp HT, Osinga R (2005) Oxygen dynamics in choanosomal sponge explants. Marine Biology Research 1: 160-163
Hoffmann F, Larsen O, Thiel V, Rapp HT, Pape T, Michaelis W, Reitner J (2005) An anaerobic world in sponges. Geomicrobiology Journal 22: 1-10
Hoffmann F, Rapp HT, Peters H, Pape T, Reitner J (2004) Sedimentary inclusions in the deep-water sponge Geodia barretti (Geodiidae, Demospongiae) from the Korsfjord, Western Norway. Sarsia 89: 1-8
Schönberg CHL, Hoffmann F, Gatti S (2004) Using microsensors to measure sponge physiology. Bollettino dei Musei e degli Istituti Biologici dell' Universitá die Genova 68: 593-604
Hoffmann F, Rapp HT, Zöller T, Reitner J (2003) Growth and regeneration in cultivated fragments of the boreal deep water sponge Geodia barretti Bowerbank, 1858 (Geodiidae, Tetractinellida, Demospongiae). Journal of Biotechnology 100: 109-118
Hoffmann F, Janussen D, Dröse W, Arp G, Reitner J (2003) Histological investigation of organisms with hard skeletons: a case study of siliceous sponges. Biotechnic and Histochemistry 78: 191-199
Reitner J, Hoffmann F (2003) Porifera-Zonierungen in Kaltwasser-Korallenriffen (Sula Rücken, Norwegen. In: Gradstein SR, Willmann R, Zizka G (eds) Biodiversitätsforschung: Die Entschlüsselung der Artenvielfalt in Raum und Zeit, Kleine Senckenberg-Reihe 45. E. Schweizerbart'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart, pp 75-87
Osinga R, Armstrong E, Burgess JG, Hoffmann F, Reitner J, Schumann-Kindel G (2001) Sponge-microbe associations and their importance for sponge bioprocess engineering. Hydrobiologia 461: 55-62
Glud RN, Holby O, Hoffmann F, Canfield DE (1998) Benthic mineralization and exchange in Arctic sediments (Svalbard, Norway). Marine Ecology Progress Series 173: 237-251